Unable to locate XLUSRGAL.XLS

  1. #1

    Unable to locate XLUSRGAL.XLS

    Hi folks,

    After having defined several user-defined graphs I have the resulting excel to end users. Obviusly they don't see the graphs as me becasue they don't have the user-defined graphs in its Excel. The Excel manual explains a method to avoid this issue: share the XLUSRGAL.xls (where user-dephined graphs are suppose to be saved) to end users.

    My main issue is that I have spent two days looking for this file and I'm not able to find it. I 'm sure that Excel is saving the user-defined graphs in some place but I am being crazing trying to discover where...

    Please, I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

    Alf

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Unable to locate XLUSRGAL.XLS

    If the user has their own charts in the gallery, there will be a hard choice
    to make: hose my charts or hose his.

    Anyway, you could look here for the user gallery:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

    A year or two ago I posted a method to distribute user-defined chart types
    without overwriting a user's entire custom chart gallery.
    Create a new workbook that you will distribute to the users. Embed each
    custom chart template on its own worksheet. Put the name for each chart
    type in cell A1 of the sheet, and the description in cell A2.

    Put this macro into a regular code module in the workbook containing your
    custom chart templates:

    Sub DistributeChartTypes()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim cht As Chart
    Dim chto As ChartObject
    If ws.ChartObjects.Count > 0 Then
    If Len(ws.Cells(1, 1).Value) > 1 Then
    Set cht = ws.ChartObjects(1).Chart
    Application.AddChartAutoFormat Chart:=cht, _
    Name:=ws.Cells(1, 1).Value, _
    Next
    End Sub

    Finally, put this macro into the "ThisWorkbook" code module of the workbook
    with the custom charts:

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    DistributeChartTypes
    End Sub

    Send out the file with instructions to open it with macros enabled. The
    Workbook_Open procedure will run when the workbook opens, which runs the
    DistributeChartTypes procedure. If any chart type with the same name is
    already present in the user's custom chart gallery, the new one will
    overwrite the existing one.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    "alf_gon" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Becoming crazy, I dont' find it....

    I know that it seems not possible but I haven't done this search (this path and so others using the Search tool, lloking for hidden folders and so on..) severals times with no result. However, I'm sure that the user-defined charts must be saved somewhre because every time I open a excel file from scratch I can see the user-defined charts that I have previously defined in the graph-chart assistant.

    If I open the visual basic editor I can see a VB Project named XLUSRGAL.xls, but this file doesn't exist in my PC. Am I becoming crazy?

    Alf

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Unable to locate XLUSRGAL.XLS

    Alf

    When you do a search for *.xls do all the other *.xls files on your computer
    show up in search found list?

    With Windows Explorer open, go to Tools>Folder Options>View and make sure
    "show all files" is checked and "hide extensions for known file types" is
    unchecked.

    Try the search again for just *.xls.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP