Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

  1. #1

    Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

    I have a scatter chart with smooted lines and no data markers that represents a (one) mathematical function. Is it possible to highlight (mark) one data point and from that point draw parallel (dashed) lines to the x and y axes?

    By hovering over the chart you can pop up the data values but I want (if possible) the parrallel lines to better visualize the position of the selected point on the axes.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

    Hi,

    Add an extra series to the chart. This only needs a single x and y
    value. Change the series to plot a data marker with no line. Use the X
    and Y error bars of the new series to make connecting lines from the
    point to the axes.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

    See Ed Ferrero's Intercept Vertical Lines example.
    http://www.edferrero.com/Charting.aspx

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

    In addition to Andy's suggestions, you may also want to look at

    Hover Chart Label
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/so...bel/index.html

    and

    Interactive Chart
    http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/software/interactive_chart_display/index.html

    Neither is exactly what you want but...

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <rvExcelNewTip.217g0z_1136537100.9843@excelforum-
    nospam.com>, rvExcelNewTip.217g0z_1136537100.9843...rum-nospam.com
    says...

  5. #5
    I tried the error bar approach because it looked the simplest and most straightforward . But I'm now stuck with the following snag: The Y-axis has a logarithmic scale and whatever I try, I cannot get an error bar DOWN from the data point to the X-axis!

    I specified a value of 100% for the error, or alternatively I tried to Customize with the Negative Y-value (workshell location of Y value) but to no avail. If I selected Both (to have the error bar extended on both sides of the data point) only the upper part showed up!

    I'm working with Excel 2003. Is this a bug or does it "works as designed"?

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Scatter Chart Data Point Highlighting

    Hi,

    Try adding another single point that is the correct X value, Y value is
    the same as where the x-axis crosses the Y axes. And use the + custom
    error bar value linked to the Y value.
    So the error bar is now connecting the axis to the point rather than the
    point to the axis.

    Cheers
    Andy

  7. #7
    That's cool Andy!

    But do you have any explanation for Excel's native behaviour?
    Last edited by rvExcelNewTip; 01-09-2006 at 03:47 AM.