How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

  1. #1
    roswellmike
    Guest

    How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    I want to add a simple horizontal line across a chart that represents the
    average of the lines of plotted data, in my case monthly grocery
    expenditures. The data is graphed in a simple bar format, and I'd just like
    an average line that stands out.

  2. #2
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    see tushar methta's page

    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    roswellmike
    Guest

    Re: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    That is a cool tutorial for sure. I went through it and got a reference, but
    on my bar chart the reference is not a line but bars of equal height next to
    each data bar. Is there a way to add a horizontal reference line to a bar
    graph?

    Thanks,
    Michael

  4. #4
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    can be done. do you want the second chart as a line chart or bar chart. of
    it is line chart follow the turorial. if you want the second series also a
    baar graph by the side of each bar of the first series then
    create another series with the same xvalues but all the Y values as
    that praticular value. chart this as series 2 in the same chartsheet. if
    necessary change data type of the series 2.

  5. #5
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    Roswellmike,

    In this simple example, there are two sets of data. The first set of data
    is grocery store expense and the second set of data is the average grocery
    store expense.

    Expense Avg. Expense
    meat $152 $240
    lettuce $242 $240
    carrots $321 $240
    apples $245 $240

    Now you can build a regular clustered column chart first and create the
    average line from that chart second.

    Start column 1 in cell A2, column 2 in cell B1 (Expense), and column 3 in
    cell C1 (Avg. Expense). Cell A1 should be blank. Add the data into your
    spreadsheet. When complete, the data should span the range A1:C5.

    Put your curser in cell A1 and go to the chart wizard. In the standard
    types tab, choose the Column -> Clustered Column option. Hit the Next key
    and go through the prompts until finished. When complete, you should have a
    chart with two series consisting of bars - your original data and the average
    of that data.

    To create the average line, click once on any one of the average bars
    (clicking once on any one of the average bars should select the entire
    average series). Right-click your mouse, select "Chart type . . ." in the
    menu, choose a regular Line chart, and then hit the OK button. You should
    get a line consisting of the average values going across the first series of
    bars.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  6. #6
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2013

    Re: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    Yeah seriously this forum is the group of brilliant excel experts, I learnt new thing in this thread about to how I can add the reference line in the chart.

  7. #7
    Forum Expert teylyn's Avatar
    New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365 Insider Fast
    Posts
    11,372

    Re: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    Terressa, what is the purpose of answering a ten year old thread with such a non-content answer? Are you trying to up your post count? Please don't. Your other posts in old threads are not better. If you have a question, please start a new thread. Appreciate these old threads in silence. It keeps the noise down.

  8. #8
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2013

    Re: How do I add a reference line to Excel charts?

    Hi Teyln,

    I landed on this page through google search and I didn't raise any query I have just commented because I liked it and I think this is public forum and if "Reply to Thread" is still active it means we can reply I have read the FAQ also in which no where is mentioned that we can not comment on old thread.

    I have no target to achieve the good number of post at this forum. I just came here to learn the things.

    Apologies If I said anything wrong.
    Last edited by Terressa; 06-04-2015 at 11:27 PM.