Can you chart an equation (y=mx+b)?

  1. #1
    Adam
    Guest

    Can you chart an equation (y=mx+b)?

    I am trying to set up a graph in MS Excel where you can enter in the values
    for X and B and it will graph the line, like a graphing caluclator would. Is
    that possible?

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Can you chart an equation (y=mx+b)?

    Excel graphs points, not equations. For a straight line, you would only
    need to calculate the first and last points on the line and plot them as
    an "XY (Scatter)" chart with points connected by a line. Alternately,
    Tushar Mehta has written an add-in for plotting functions
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/so...ger/index.html

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Can you chart an equation (y=mx+b)?

    If the relationship is not necessarily linear, and you just want to hack out
    a series without using an add-in, you can simply put a set of X values into
    one column, then in the next column insert formulas that calculate the
    appropriate Y values. Then make the plot with these two columns.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services