How do I set a goal line in a bar graph?

  1. #1
    mtwelsh72
    Guest

    How do I set a goal line in a bar graph?

    I have a bar graph that graphs percentages to goal, I would like to display a
    line within the bar graph that represents the goal. If possible, I would
    then like to have the background of the graph below the goal line to be red,
    and above the goal line to be another color. Can this be done?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a goal line in a bar graph?

    Hi,

    The following pages have examples of how to add lines.

    http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts...nes/index.html
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm
    http://www.processtrends.com/pg_char...ontal_line.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    mtwelsh72
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a goal line in a bar graph?

    Thank you Andy.

    I am almost there. I am having a difficult time finding the "uncheck values
    cross between categorys" section in the the formatting windows. I'm using
    Excel 2003, would it be called something different?

    Currently my spreadsheet shows the bars (performance) and I have the line
    representing their goal, however, it does not go from edge to edge. It
    currently goes from the first performance to the last performance.

    Can you help?

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a goal line in a bar graph?

    To get the line to go from edge to edge you will need to put it on the
    secondary axis. Then you Chart options to enable the secondary X axis.
    Double click the secondary x axis and on the scale tab you should find
    the crosses between categories.

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    New York
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 97

    Re: How do I set a goal line in a bar graph?

    Yeah I just set up a column next to my other data with the goal. This worked great, as Im using pivot. All I do is pivot the goal column right into the data area