Line Graph with 2 lines

  1. #1
    Need help making line graph with 2 lines
    Guest

    Line Graph with 2 lines

    I am trying to make a line graph with 2 lines, each with its own separate
    x-axis and y-axis values. I've tried but cannot seem to do this. Any help
    would be great.

    50 50 55 45
    25 25 32 23
    12.5 12.5 17 15
    6.25 6.25 9 8
    3.125 3.125 6 3
    1.5625 1.5625 3 3
    0.78125 0.78125 1 2

    These are the two lines I'm trying to graph, with the x-axis being on the
    left and the y-axis on the right.

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Line Graph with 2 lines

    "Need help making line graph with 2 lines" <Need help making line graph with
    2 [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I am trying to make a line graph with 2 lines, each with its own separate
    > x-axis and y-axis values. I've tried but cannot seem to do this. Any help
    > would be great.
    >
    > 50 50 55 45
    > 25 25 32 23
    > 12.5 12.5 17 15
    > 6.25 6.25 9 8
    > 3.125 3.125 6 3
    > 1.5625 1.5625 3 3
    > 0.78125 0.78125 1 2
    >
    > These are the two lines I'm trying to graph, with the x-axis being on the
    > left and the y-axis on the right.

    Do you actually want a line graph, or is it an XY (scatter) graph you want?
    I would have thought it was the latter if you've got X and Y values for each
    point. I assume that the first and third columns are the X and Y for the
    first series, and the 2nd & 4th columns are X & Y for the second series?

    The easy option is to select the four columns & Insert Chart, then adjust
    the Source Data to suit. You'll want one series with column A for X data
    and C for Y, and the second series would have column B for X data and D for
    Y.

    If you really do want a line graph, then the same process will do, but you
    won't have A axis data values, merely labels.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Need help making line graph with 2 lines
    Guest

    Re: Line Graph with 2 lines

    this does not help, i simply want a graph with 2 lines

    Line 1:
    X-axis values

    12.5
    6.25
    3.125
    1.5625
    0.78125

    Y-axis values

    12.5
    6.25
    3.125
    1.5625
    0.78125

    Line 2:

    X-axis values:

    Y-axis values:

    I put these numbers into 4 different collumns, then create line graph, and
    it gives me 4 different series. So, I delete series 3 and 4 so that I will
    have 2 series. I then click on each series, and where is says Values:, i
    select the the column for each series that i want to be the Y-axis. This
    works fine. However, I dont know how to select the x-axis values for each
    series. I tried selecting them under: Category (x) axis labels, but it made
    the x-axis values for both series the same.

  4. #4
    ShaneDevenshire
    Guest

    RE: Line Graph with 2 lines

    Assuming you have your data in columns A:D - plot the B:D range as a line
    chart type, then select one of the two line series on the chart and choose
    Format, Selected Data Series, and on the Axis tab choose Secondary axis

    --
    Thanks,
    Shane Devenshire

  5. #5
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Line Graph with 2 lines

    Use an XY (Scatter) chart type, which can be formatted to have lines
    connecting the markers.

    Create the XY (Scatter) chart type for one set of XY pairs.

    (One way is to arrange your data with X values in a column on the left and
    corresponding Y values in an adjacent column on the right, and select both
    the X and Y values before using the Chart Wizard.)

    Then use Chart | Source Data | Series to add the second set of XY pairs.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

  6. #6
    David Biddulph
> [...]

    > 1
    >
    > Y-axis values:
    >
    > 45
    > 23
    > 15
    > 8
    > 3
    > 3
    > 2
    >
    > I put these numbers into 4 different collumns, then create line graph, and
    > it gives me 4 different series. So, I delete series 3 and 4 so that I will
    > have 2 series. I then click on each series, and where is says Values:, i
    > select the the column for each series that i want to be the Y-axis. This
    > works fine. However, I dont know how to select the x-axis values for each
    > series. I tried selecting them under: Category (x) axis labels, but it
    > made
    > the x-axis values for both series the same.

    So use XY (scatter) *NOT* line graph.
    For the first series, column A is your X axis data, column B your Y axis
    data.
    For the second seies, column C is your X axis data, column D your Y axis
    data.
    --
    David Biddulph