strike out feature in excel

  1. #1
    chits
    Guest

    strike out feature in excel

    i am using excel 2003 version.
    It has been found sometimes that when i strike out any part of text in one
    cell, & save the excel sheet, after re-opening, i find the complete cell(all
    text in a cell) striked out.
    has anyone faced this problem? i do not have any macro's in my sheet... is
    this dependent on any macro settings.. etc... whats the solution for this..?

  2. #2

    Re: strike out feature in excel

    I've never seen this occur.

    And I just tried it again.

    If you create a new workbook and do this to a couple of cells, then save, close
    and reopen, does it happen there?

    If no, how about double checking for macros.

    Set up that real workbook with a cell with some text crossed out.
    Close excel
    Open excel in safe mode
    File|open your workbook

    If it's still broken, then I don't have a guess.

    But if it's ok, then maybe you do have a macro you don't realize you have (an
    event macro under that worksheet???).

    This kind of code:

    with worksheets("sheet1").range("a1")
    .value = .value
    end with

    Just a simple .value to .value will cause the whole cell to pick of the
    formatting of the first character in that cell.

    If you strike out the only middle characters, then close and reopen, is all the
    strikeout gone?

    If yes, then this is consistent with my guess.

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: strike out feature in excel

    I expect the answer is to not change the cell after having
    modified formatting of part of the cell. Watch your use of macros.

    Use of F2 put change at formula bar and will not change it,
    but use of my TrimALL macro [ join.htm#trimall ] for instance
    would reenter the value of the cell and change it. (tested using bold instead of strikeout)
    ---
    HTH,