Fortnight

  1. #1
    j.mcgown
    Guest

    Fortnight

    I would like to know if anyone knows how to calculate what 2 week period you
    are in for a particular year given a date reference, for example.

    I have a spreadsheet which I record my travel Times and Odometers on. I
    useually add this up each 2 week (pay period) and get a sum, I would like to
    be able to identify which 2 week period I am in so I can automatically sum it
    up in a pivot table

    Data as below

    Start Date Destination KMs Month Year
    DOW
    15/03/2005 25 3 2005 2

    I have seperated the Month, Year and Day of the week using formulas and
    currently use my pivot table to sum KMs per month and year, I would love to
    be able to do it per 2 week period, any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Fortnight

    First of all, why have you separated the parts of the date? You don't have to.
    In a Pivot Table you can group dates by month and year. As for date
    information, what you need in your list is a field for the travel date and
    another for the paydate to which it belongs. (If you want to see the day of
    the week for the travel date, you can format it as ddd mm/dd/yy, or something
    similar.)

    I think you should redo your table with these columns:

    TravelDate Destination KM PayDate

    As for getting the paydate that corresponds to a given travel date, you would
    use a VLOOKUP formula and table with the the *start* of the pay period in the
    1st column and the *end* of the pay period in the 2nd. Let's say you use
    K2:L27 for that table.

    To construct the table, put the starting date of the first pay period in K2.
    In L2 put the formula =K2+13. In K3, the formula =K2+14, in L3, =L2+14. Then
    copy these formulas down throu K27:L27.

    Assuming your travel data is now in A:D, and the 1st data row is 2, the
    formula in D2 that will get the payperiod is =VLOOKUP(A2,$K$2:$L$27,2)

    Set up your pivot table to use the pay date instead of the travel date.

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Fortnight

    >>... I would love to
    >>be able to do it per 2 week period, any help would be much appreciated.

    In addition to grouping by Month and Year, you can also group by Days. Just
    set the "Number of days" option to 14.

    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    j.mcgown
    Guest

    Re: Fortnight

    Thankyou for you response, I had never even thought of using pay date, or
    just changing the way they are grouped.

    Cheers

    Jay