Copying Formulas to Other Worksheets

  1. #1
    FCT
    Guest

    Copying Formulas to Other Worksheets

    How do I copy a formula from one .xls file to another without having the old
    ..xls file references come into the new .xls file that I am copying to?

    Solving this problem will save me a lot of time. Otherwise, I have to
    retype the really long formula in the new .xls file.

    Thanks--

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Copying Formulas to Other Worksheets

    Try copying only the TEXT of the formula (without the equal sign), and then
    adding the equal sign back in the new sheet..............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Neil M
    Guest

    RE: Copying Formulas to Other Worksheets

    This may be easier for you.

    Copy the formula from one sheet to another. Don't copy the cell!!
    Select the cell with the formula you want. In the formula line up top
    highlight the entire formula with the = sign, right click and copy. Remove
    the highlight before switching sheets, go to the end and then hit enter. This
    will keep your formula on the first in tact.
    Now bring up the sheet that you want ot copy the formula to and select the
    cell you deisre. In the formula bar right click and paste or CTRL+V
    Now all you have to do is place you cursor in the formula over each cell or
    that WAS refernced and change it to the cell you want to reference on the new
    sheet

    For example lets say this is you formula on sheet 1

    =(D2*E2)/G3

    When you copy that to sheet 2 and if your reference cells are different,
    lets say D5,E5 and G6 then you would have this
    =(D5*E5)/G6

    HTH

    Neil M

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copying Formulas to Other Worksheets

    FCT

    One method..........

    Edit>Replace

    What: =
    With: xxxx

    Replace all.

    Copy the cells to the new worksheet and reverse the whole operation.

    Also go back and reverse on source sheet.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP