VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

  1. #1
    Linda
    Guest

    VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    While using VLOOKUP, the result is not showing up...only the formula. But
    while I was actually entering the formula in VLOOKUP the value was showing
    up. But once I hit OK only the formula showed up. Please help!!!

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Try hitting Ctrl+` (the key directly to the left of the 1). You may have the
    option to display all formulas enabled.

    Dave

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Or the cell you are entering the formula in was formatted as text prior to entering it. Delete the formulas, re-format to General and re-enter your formulas. Then you can re-format back to text if need be.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. #4
    Linda
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Thanks David,
    Unfortunately, this did not work.

  5. #5
    Linda
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Thanks David, but this did not help. Any other suggestions?

  6. #6
    Linda
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Thanks SteveG, but this did not help either. Any other suggestions?

  7. #7
    Linda
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    I just realized that all areas that contain formulas are showing the formula
    and not the result. Can anyone help?

  8. #8
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Try 2 other options:

    1) Hit F9. If this option works, you have automatic calculation turned off.
    Tools->Options->'Calculation' tab->Check 'Automatic' to turn automatic
    calculation on.
    2) Do you have an equals sign (=) in front of your formula?

    Dave

  9. #9
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Linda -
    I am more convinced your problem is due to my first post. Are you sure you
    did it correctly? With your sheet open, push Ctrl + ` (grave accent). This
    is the key to the left of the 1 on your keyboard, and directly below the esc
    button.

    Dave

  10. #10
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    Hi Linda,
    This may be redundant but it is worth a try.
    Highlight the entire column, go to Edit > Clear > All, and re-enter the
    formula.
    You might also post back the exact formula you are using.
    --
    Ken Hudson

  11. #11
    I had the same problem and this last suggestion by Ken worked for me.

    Thanks, Ken.

  12. #12
    Bay Area, California
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: VLOOKUP result is not showing up - only the formula

    SteveG's post (#3) works for me. Thank you!