Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

  1. #1
    RJH
    Guest

    Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

    I'm trying to create a drop-down list (in Data Validation) that is populated
    by the subset of a larger list. The larger list is not sorted, nor can it
    be. If possible, I'd prefer not create a subset list elsewhere in the
    worksheet and have a list in Data Validation refer to it. Ideally, I'd like
    to enter a formula in the Source: box (after choosing List under Allow: in
    Data Validation) that would create a filtered list from the larger list.

    It's difficult for me to explain this well, but maybe an example will help:

    I have a table of baseball players, 20 rows by 3 columns (columns are
    Position, Name and Batting Avg.). I'd like to create a pull-down menu, below
    the main menu, with just first basemen in it (and let's assume there are 3
    first basemen in the larger list).

    Any help is greatly appreciated, I've been struggling with this for a while.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

    Hi!

    You have 2 choices:

    1. sort the original list then you can write a formula that'll populate the
    drop down based on a players position.

    2. create sublists of each position.

    >The larger list is not sorted, nor can it be.

    Kind of narrows down your options! Why can't you create a sorted copy of the
    larger list?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RJH
    Guest

    Re: Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

    Thanks Biff, I'm using the second option right now: sub-lists of players. In
    fact, I'm using a modification of a formula I think you posted elsewhere on
    'net! You are prolific!

    The first option would be more efficient, but I can't sort the larger list
    because: 1) it's a web query and 2) I need the workbook to be dynamic. If
    there is a way to create a sorted list dynamically (an array function that
    sorts referenced data?), that would be the answer, but I'm not aware of a way
    to do that. Any suggestions?

    Rich

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

    Hi!

    It's possible to dynamically sort a list with formulas but I'm not so sure
    it would be any "better" than creating sublists as you have done.

    Can you give me a more thorough explanation of what you're wanting to do?
    Does the web query pull the same amount of data each time or does it vary?

    >I have a table of baseball players, 20 rows by 3 columns (columns are
    >Position, Name and Batting Avg.). I'd like to create a pull-down menu,
    >below
    >the main menu, with just first basemen in it (and let's assume there are 3
    >first basemen in the larger list).

    What data do you want in the drop down, the first basemens names? I'm
    guessing that you also want to do this for any position?

    We might be able to get this to work!

  5. #5
    Rhode Island
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2004 Mac

    Re: Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

    Sorry to steal an old thread, but I've been looking for an answer to an exel dilemma, and I think, Biff, you might have the answer. I've been looking for a while and this is the closest example to my own of what I want to do---sort of new to excel and not sure how to make it happen though.

    Here it is:

    I have a list of all my Projects from 2010 in one column, and in the next column they are either listed as active or completed. On another worksheet I have a timesheet with a column to designate the project and then seven columns to designate each day of the week. I want the Project column to have pulldown lists(using data validation) where I would just see "active" projects from my original project list. I can only figure out how to get it to show all the projects. Is there a way to do this?

    I sincerely appreciate any help you could provide me with, and thank you in advance for your help!

  6. #6
    Rhode Island
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2004 Mac

    Re: Drop-down list Populated by a Subset of a larger list

    P.S. Basically I want you to explain option 1 above: sort the original list then you can write a formula that'll populate the drop down based on a players position--except active projects