What does an apostrophe (') in front of a word mean?

  1. #1
    Youzhong Li
    Guest

    What does an apostrophe (') in front of a word mean?

    What does an apostrophe (') in front of a word mean in an cell of an Excel
    spreadsheet? How can I change the format with an ' into a text format of
    general format? Please let me know. Thank you very much.
    Youzhong Li

  2. #2

    Re: What does an apostrophe (') in front of a word mean?

    Youzhong Li wrote:
    > What does an apostrophe (') in front of a word mean in an cell
    > of an Excel spreadsheet?

    I assume you are talking about an apostrophe as the first character
    in a cell.

    It prevents Excel from interpreting the text. For example, I like to
    enter "dates" in the form May06. If I do that, Excel treats it as a
    date and reformats it in the form May-06. When I enter 'May06,
    Excel formats exactly as May06. I do not need the apostrophe if
    I have the forethought to format the cell as Text. But usually I don't
    have that forethought; and after entering May06 without the
    apostrophe, formatting the cell as Text results in a number -- the
    way that Excel stores dates under the covers.

    > How can I change the format with an ' into a text format of
    > general format?

    The usual way works: click on Format > Cells > Number > Text.
    The apostrophe remains hidden.

  3. #3
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: What does an apostrophe (') in front of a word mean?

    in addition:

    YES: you can remove all the (starting) apostrophs.
    PROVIDED you set the cell(s) numberformat to TEXT first.

    the apostroph is a leftover from lotus 1-2-3..
    where it was an indicator for left aligned.

    --
    keepITcool

    Youzhong Li wrote in
    <news:<[email protected]>