Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window

  1. #1
    SBH
    Guest

    Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window

    Hi,

    I was wondering if there is a way to open Excel workbooks in separated
    windows. MS Word behaves that way by default. I'm using Office 2000 on
    Windows XP Pro.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    SBH

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window

    Try Tools>Options>View and check the Windows In Taskbar option.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SBH
    Guest

    Re: Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window

    Thanks Bob. The setting you suggested does give me an individual tab
    for each Excel file opened. But it seems all the files still reside in
    the same window. In MS Word, each file opened has its own window, and
    each window has its own menu (File, Edit, View ...)

    I guess I should have make myself more clear. I have a laptop with an
    external monitor. What I'm trying to do is to open two Excel file
    side-by-side with one displayed on the external monitor and the other
    one on my laptop screen. One option is to tile the two workbooks
    horizontally across the two displays. Problem is, my external monitor
    is much larger and has much higher resolution than my laptop screen.
    So display then in the same window just look odd. That's why I'm
    hoping there's a way to have two independent windows on the two
    displays.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window

    Then could you not just start another instance of Excel, and open the second
    document in that? You might Read-Only messages if you have a Personal.xls,
    but you can just click through these.

  5. #5
    SBH
    Guest

    Re: Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window

    Thanks Bob. That indeed works! I guess I always open files by
    double-clicking them and they always end up being in the same window.
    It never occured to me that I can just open another instance of Excel.
    Thanks again. ^u^