Excel gridlines disappear when color is added

  1. #1
    nelson1344
    Guest

    Excel gridlines disappear when color is added

    When adding color to rows or columns in excel worksheets, the gridlines
    disappear. How can I get the gridlines to print, even if the worksheets has
    colored rows or columns?

  2. #2

    Re: Excel gridlines disappear when color is added

    Add borders to your worksheet
    format|cells|borders tab
    And don't print those gridlines.

    (fill colors kill those gridlines--as you've seen)

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Excel gridlines disappear when color is added

    Nelson,

    Cell fill color, even white, paints right over the gridlines. You can use
    borders (Format - Cells - Borders).
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Phoenix, AZ
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 365

    Re: Excel gridlines disappear when color is added

    When formatting the borders of the cells to allow the gridlines to appear even when the cells are color-filled, do I have to format each cell border individually?! ...because when I highlight the bunch of cells that I want to format it just puts the border around the entire thing not each cell! I think it's nuts that Excel does not have an easy command option that allows the gridlines to show/unshow when the cells are colored in! This is an old thread so maybe that option is there now I just don't know it... (?) *crosses fingers*
    Thanks for any help!

  5. #5
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,933

    Re: Excel gridlines disappear when color is added

    OfficeCat, welcome to the forum

    Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 4 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

    If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

    Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.

    (There are options for putting borders on different areas of a range or cell)
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford