How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

  1. #1
    VJ
    Guest

    How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

    Hi All,
    I am currently using Excel 2003 on my computer. I have customised the way
    toolbars appear on my system in Excel. Now I would be upgrading to a new
    machine. I want to know how should I copy the settings for my toolbars.

    I tried the Help option- It says to copy the file named "excel.xlb" to the
    new machine but it doesn't mentions anything about Excel 2003. Moreover I
    have not found any file with extension .xlb on my machine.

    Can anybody please help?

    Thanks in Advance.

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

    Hi
    Interesting! I just did a search for *.xlb and my PC found nothing - but I
    have got one! It's in c:\documents and settings\myname\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Excel. It's dated and timed this morning when I started
    Excel. I'm guessing that this is the file Help mentions.

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

    Make sure you tell search to look through hidden folders and for hidden files.

    Or you could use an old DOS command.

    windows start button|run
    cmd
    (and hit enter)
    cd \
    (to get to the root directory)

    dir *.xlb /s

    the /s means to search through subdirectories.

    Saved from a previous post:

    I have a short list of things to copy/update when we change pc's at work.

    It's not complete, but may help you.

    Word/Excel files:

    FileName Use
    custom.dic personal dictionary
    *.acl personal autocorrect list
    mssp2_en.exc personal exclusion dictionary
    normal.dot default (for new documents) template
    *.dot Any other templates you've made

    *.xlb personal toolbar
    book.xlt defaults for new workbooks
    sheet.xlt defaults for new worksheets
    personal.xl* personal macros
    *.xlt Any other templates you've made

    And don't forget any:
    Local files (If you don’t store on LAN)
    (Settings) Directories and other defaults (Tools|Options stuff)

  4. #4
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

    Hi V,

    > I tried the Help option- It says to copy the file named "excel.xlb" to the
    > new machine but it doesn't mentions anything about Excel 2003. Moreover I
    > have not found any file with extension .xlb on my machine.

    The file may be called Excel11.xlb and may be a hidden file, so make sure you
    include hidden files in the search.

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    www.jkp-ads.com

  5. #5
    Spinner
    Guest

    RE: How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

    Hi,

    The file you are after is Excel11.xlb. It is in C:\Documents and
    Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

    Microsoft changes the .xlb file with each new version (Excel.xlb,
    Excel8.xlb, Excel10.xlb and now Excel11.xlb)

    After you set up your new machine with excel, start it once and the close
    it. Then copy the file (Excel11.xlb) into the above location on your new
    system.

    One thing to watch is: If you have personal macros linked to any of the
    toolbar buttons the Path to those macro must be the same on the new system.
    So, you must either have exactly the same user name and copy your personal
    procedures workbooks across to the same locations or use the work-around I
    suggest below. For reference, your personal macros are stored in C:\Documents
    and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART and
    your personal addins are in C:\Documents and Settings\<your
    username>\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns.

    If you have a different username on the new system, you need to "relocate"
    the file containing personal macros. Now to do this you need to:

    1. Create a "common location" on both old and new systems (e.g.
    C:/ExcelUpdate)
    2. Open Excel on the old system and Unhide your personal macro workbook/s.
    3. Use "Save As" to save the personal macro workbook/s to C:/ExcelUpdate
    4. Close Excel. Now the Excel11.xlb file on your old system is linked to the
    file/s in C:/ExcelUpdate.
    5. Copy the personal macro workbook to C:/ExcelUpdate on the new system.
    6. Copy the Excel11.xlb file to the new system in: C:\Documents and
    Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns.
    7. Start Excel on the new system and Open the personal macros workbook (in
    C:/ExcelUpdate).
    8. Use "Save As" to save the personal macro workbook to C:\Documents and
    Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART.

    Now, Excel11.xlb on the new system is linked to the file/s located where
    they should be (and will open automatically when you start excel).

    If you have created personal addins files, or your workbooks uses functions
    in your personal macros files, you can fix the connection to these easily
    (they are the same as any other links between workbooks and can be updated by
    opening each workbooks and Editing the Link.)

    Now. All of the above will be simple is you use exactly the same name on the
    new system. In this case, just copy all of the files (and folders) across
    from:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
    And
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns

    To the new system

    And, as they say, "bobs your uncle"...

  6. #6
    Spinner
    Guest

    RE: How to copy toolbar settings from Excel 2003?

    Hi VJ,

    I posted a response to your querie and was wondering if you found it useful
    (or confusing or other... LOL). I am relativley new to this forum and would
    be pleased with some feedback (good or bad)...

    Cheers,
    Spinner