What does ! mean in the formula?

  1. #1
    Juanita
    Guest

    What does ! mean in the formula?

    What does the ! mean before a cell when transferring the cell contents to a
    different page?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    In Windows, you might write a full path name as C:\My Documents\MyFile

    In Excel once you create a formula that crosses sheets, it looks like

    =Sheet2!A1 (ie. Cell A1 which is on Sheet 2 in my Workbook.)

    That's how Excel reads more complex addresses.

    Incidentally, say you were working in Sheet 1, you could write a formula

    =D3

    or

    =Sheet1!D3

    It's the same cell!

    Hope this brief explanation helps
    Last edited by MartinShort; 05-17-2005 at 05:03 AM.
    Martin Short

  3. #3

    Re: What does ! mean in the formula?

    If it's in a string, it means it's a point of emphasis:

    =if(a1=1,"Get too work!","Please, continue to work.")

    if you see it a reference, it's excel's delimiter to separate the sheetname from
    the address:

    =sheet1!a1
    or
    ='this is sheet 1"!a1

    The formulas return the value from that sheet in cell A1.