How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?

  1. #1
    JKB
    Guest

    How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?

    I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a
    degree symbol after the dd. I can do it one cell at a time. Can I do the
    whole column at once somehow?

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?

    Try this, JKB:
    http://www.officearticles.com/misc/s...oft_office.htm
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?

    Are you simply constructing text strings? In a helper column, use a
    formula like

    =LEFT(A1,2)&"°"&RIGHT(A1,6)

    This assumes that there are no items with only one digit in the degrees
    part of the string. Hold down Alt while typing 0176 to get the degree
    symbol.

    You can then copy this range, select the original range, and use Edit
    menu > Paste Special > Values to put the new text into those cells.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    for general display purposes (to cover other formats too) perhaps
    =TEXT(A1,"dd")&"°"&TEXT(A1,"mm.mmm")
    might be better.

    You would need to do this in a new inserted column B and Hide column A
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 07-06-2005 at 02:19 AM.