save .csv file to .sdf file

  1. #1
    deniseh
    Guest

    save .csv file to .sdf file

    How am I able to save a .csv file to a .sdf file extension?

  2. #2
    dlw
    Guest

    RE: save .csv file to .sdf file

    sdf is fixed field length. Open the .csv file in excel. highlight the
    entire spreadsheet. Go Format / Column / Auto-fit section
    That will make the columns, or fields, the right size. then do a File /
    save as / and for the save as type:, pick formatted text (space delimited)
    and put a .sdf at the end of the file name.

  3. #3
    deniseh
    Guest

    RE: save .csv file to .sdf file

    Thanks for this, your instructions worked very well, unfortunately what I am
    trying to do with the data doesn't work, so I'm still stuck!! If I expalin a
    little more it may be easier to help me (I hope) Our accounts package is
    able to export data in .csv or .dbf format, I have to get data in fixed
    length fields (which are stipulated) to another software package which
    accepts data in .sdf format. Everywhich way I try I cannot get the data
    across, it's driving me nuts. Anyway thanks for your initial help, it is
    appreciated.

  4. #4

    Re: save .csv file to .sdf file

    I don't know what a .sdf file is, but this might help you create a file with
    fixed length fields.

    I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column:

    =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",5),5) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",4),4) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00")

    (You'll have to modify it to match what you want.)

    Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there. Once I figured out that
    ugly formula, I kept it and just unhide that column when I wanted to export the
    data.

    If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could do it with a macro.

    Here's a link that provides a macro:
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=015...280a%40phx.gbl

    =========