How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

  1. #1
    Alex
    Guest

    How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

    However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
    out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

    Can anybody give me some ideas?

    Thanks,

    Alex

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    Try something like this to use Advanced Filter:

    If the filter field is "CustName", and you want to filter customers that
    contain "inc" or "comp" or "LTD"......

    Copy the CustName field name of to the side of the data
    Assuming you paste it into cell F1:
    F1: Custname
    F2: *inc*
    F3: *comp*
    F4: *LTD*
    (The asterisks are wildcards that match any text)

    Next, select your data range
    Data|Filter|Advanced Filter
    List range: (your already selected data)
    Criteria range: $F$1:$F$4
    Click the [OK] button to filter the list in place

    That will hide any rows where the CustName field does NOT contain the listed
    criteria.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3

    Re: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    Debra Dalgleish has some notes:
    http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

    For me, I like to cheat.

    I use a helper column and build a formula (as complex as I need) that returns
    true or false. Then I filter on that column.

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    You can try EasyFilter if you want it easy
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  5. #5
    Alex
    Guest

    RE: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    Hi Ron,

    thanks a lot for you inputs, but this does not work in my case.

    I have a column called keywords.

    I added :

    D12: word1
    D13: word2
    D14: word3

    The search criteria is the following:

    D4: keywords
    D5: *word2*

    If I start the advanced search as you explained I see only word1. Word2 and
    word3 are removed. However only word2 should be visible.

    I don't know what is going wrong.

    Thanks,

    Alex

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    Does your list of words in the data area have a column heading?

    Example:
    D11: Keywords
    D12: word1
    D13: word2
    D14: word3

    etc

    Criteria range:
    D4: Keywords
    D5: *word2* (or just word2, if you want an exact match)

    "Keywords" over the criteria range tells Advanced Filter to look in the
    column with that heading in the data range.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  7. #7
    Alex
    Guest

    RE: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    The data area has a column heading:

    data:

    D11: Keywords
    D12: word1
    D13: word2
    D14: word3

    filter criteria:

    D4: Keywords
    D5: *word2*

    It is not working with word2, *word2* and ="=word2".

    I did everything like explained in the excel help, but it is still not
    working.

    Do you have any additional idea?

    Thanks,

    Alex

  8. #8
    Alex
    Guest

    RE: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    My issue is solved! It was pretty simple:

    I have to mark keywords for both: data and search criteria.

    Now everything is fine.

    Thanks for your support!

    Alex

  9. #9
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    Hi Ron,

    thanks for this nice filter tool!

    I really like it!

    Alex

  10. #10
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

    Hi Dave,

    this page looks pretty nice. I will add it to my favorites.

    Alex