How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing dates?

  1. #1
    W. Boehmke, Jr.
    Guest

    How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing dates?

    I want to use hyphens instead of slashes when representing dates in Excel.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing dates?

    Format the cell for date, and choose the example date that uses hyphens.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    W. Boehmke, Jr.
    Guest

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing date

    Dear Mr. Deitrick,

    Thank you for responding, but I want to show the date numerically.

    It seems that the only options available in the "Format Cell" "Date"
    categories involve the month spelled out or abbreviated, i.e. "01-Mar-06".

    I want to show dates as "03-01-06" and it gets converted to "03/01/06".

    I'm using this in conjunction with ANSI Drafting Standards which recommend
    not using slashes when depicting dates. I want to include this format in the
    Excel spreadsheets I am using for a drawing log.

    Thank you for your consideration of my question.

    Bill Boehmke, Jr.

  4. #4
    Corey
    Guest

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing date

    Right Click > Format Cells > Number > Custom

    Type: mm-dd-yy

    This should give you the result you want

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing date

    Excel takes its date formatting from Start>Settings>Control Panel.

    Open that and make changes to your Regional and Language Settings short date
    format.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    W. Boehmke, Jr.
    Guest

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing date

    BWA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!

    Thank you, Corey.

    "Doh!"

    Now I'm DANGEROUS!

    Bill B.

  7. #7
    W. Boehmke, Jr.
    Guest

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing date

    Thank you, Mr. Dibben.

    Your input is very helpful as well.

    Now I can make the settings global for my system.

    Very much appreciated.

    Bill B.

  8. #8
    dfw tx
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010/07

    Question Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing dates?

    how can you accomplish this without changing any settings?

    i want to be able to save the date that was initaly entered into B1 and use that to auto populate part of the name of the file that i am saving. i cannot have my entire team change thier computer settings to use a form, my boss just wont have it.

    this is what i have:

    Dim NEWFILENAME As String
    'Center location
    NEWFILENAME = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Ordering").Range("B1").Value & " - " & ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Ordering").Range("D16").Value _
    & " - " & ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Ordering").Range("D17").Value & " - " _
    & ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Ordering").Range("E24").Value & " - " & ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Ordering").Range("E33").Value _
    & " - " & ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Ordering").Range("D20").Value

    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show NEWFILENAME

    what i was thinking is some way to take the date stored and change the way the macro handles it
    b1 is populated upon inital creation of the workbook with the <ctrl+;> command
    i need to maintain the rest of the file name

  9. #9
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451

    Re: How do I use hyphens instead of slashes when representing dates?

    Hello dstevens79, and welcome to the forum.

    Unfortunately you have inadvertently broken one of the forum rules. Please read the following and make the necessary change. Thanks.

    Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread. It makes sense to have a new thread for your question because a thread with numerous replies can be off putting & difficult to pick out relevant replies.

    When you start your own thread please be sure to use code tags (see instructions in rule #3 by clicking Forum Rules button at the top of the page).