What does a "" mean?

  1. #1
    calline6
    Guest

    What does a "" mean?

    I always come across the usage of a double quotation mark but don't really
    know what does it mean. If the double quotes encloses a word, then the word
    will be display. What if it is just opened and closed quotes?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: What does a "" mean?

    then nothing will be displayed. It's one way to get rid of "#value" error
    messages

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    calline6
    Guest

    Re: What does a "" mean?

    then does it mean, for instance in the b.m. formula,

    =if(a3="",a2,a3) whereby a3 is a name and a2 is blank

    thanks for the clarification

  4. #4
    FSt1
    Guest

    Re: What does a "" mean?

    hi,
    used in a formula, double quotes means nothing.
    in your example formula...
    if A3 is nothing(null, blank) then display the contents of A2 else display
    the contents of A3.
    if A2 and A3 are blank, then nothing will be displayed.

    regards
    FSt1

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: What does a "" mean?

    I don't think that will fly, "" can be used as a result (kinda) but not as a
    term.

    i.e. If this formula "=If(A3=0,"",A3)" was in cell A2 , then a "0" was
    entered in cell A3, Cell A2 would be blank (not a "0"). Any other values
    would be placed in cell A2 normally.

    If you are looking for blank values to do something than look into ISEMPTY
    function

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: What does a "" mean?

    FSt1 wrote...
    >used in a formula, double quotes means nothing.

    Ambiguous at best.

    >in your example formula...
    >if A3 is nothing(null, blank) then display the contents of A2 else display

    Maybe "" == NULL, but as you use the term, null isn't the same as
    #NULL! And ISBLANK("") returns FALSE.

    There comes a point when failing to understand and use the program's
    specific terminology becomes a problem. You've passed that point.

    The most precise description of "" is zero-length string because
    LEN("") == 0 and ISTEXT("") == TRUE. It's not unreasonable to call ""
    an empty string. However, "" isn't "blank" in the sense that "blank"
    has a particular meaning in Excel (the ISBLANK function gives its
    semantics), neither is it null in the sense that "null" also has a
    particular meaning in Excel (the intersection of nonoverlapping ranges,
    from which the #NULL! error value arises).

    >the contents of A3.
    >if A2 and A3 are blank, then nothing will be displayed.

    Not quite. If A3 is either blank (in the ISBLANK sense) or "", then the
    OP's formula returns the value of A2. If A2 is "", then it returns "".
    However, if A2 is blank (in the ISBLANK sense), then the OP's formula
    returns 0 rather than "". This is one of several places where it's
    important to understand the difference between blank and "".