Why is Excel Save As feature not working?

  1. #1
    Ben Moir
    Guest

    Why is Excel Save As feature not working?

    I have Office Excel 2003 installed on my XP 2002 SP2 machine. (It's been
    installed for probably *at least* 2 years now.)

    Some time...I'd say in the last 1-2 months, although I cannot nail down the
    time-frame with 100% confidence...the 'Save As' feature (in Excel) stopped
    working. So, if I open an existing XLS spreadsheet or an existing
    tab-delimited text file within Excel, and do nothing but immediately attempt
    to 'Save As', Excel basically becomes useless -- I have to terminate Excel
    using Task Manager!

    Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
    I've made sure to do 'Windows Updates' and also the more specific 'Microsoft
    Office' updates....but still 'Save As' renders Excel useless.

    I have definitely used this feature successfully up until some time fairly
    recently...again, I think in the last 1-2 months.

    thanks in advance for your help!
    later,
    Ben

  2. #2
    garfield-n-odie [MVP]
    Guest

    Re: Why is Excel Save As feature not working?

    Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
    left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
    drives that are not currently available.

    If the previous suggestion doesn't help, then see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
    Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
    MS06-015". If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows
    registry yourself, then go to
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll
    down to Item No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software -
    Fix". Download and run the script to automatically modify your
    registry as described in KB918165. You may need to temporarily
    disable your antivirus program in order to run the script.

    On April 25, a revised version of the MS06-015 update was
    released. The revised update supposedly interacts better with
    the older HP and nVidia software that the April 11 version had
    problems with. You can download the revised update from
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx .