can i increase the cell size in Excel?

  1. #1
    Bmorrison
    Guest

    can i increase the cell size in Excel?

    Hi - I want to write lots and lots of text into an Excel box - is there a
    limit to how much I can enter, or can I change this? I can see all the text
    in the top bar, but some of it disappears when I look in the spreadsheet.
    I've wrapped the text, but some still disappears - any suggestions?

  2. #2
    widman
    Guest

    RE: can i increase the cell size in Excel?

    you can double click the bottom of the row on the left, or drag it.
    Sometimes it works to format the cell to fit contents. I can't tell you why
    it is only sometimes.

    The limit of text is failry high, but if you want to ever cut and paste, or
    makea copy of the sheet, it will truncate at 255 characters. I frequently
    run into this limit.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: can i increase the cell size in Excel?

    Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
    32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

    However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
    be printed"

    To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
    spots, about every 100 characters..

    The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

    How far is not really known. Just experiment.

    .........From Dave Peterson..........

    I put this formula in A1:
    ="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

    And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
    characters to print ok.

    .........End Dave P.................

    Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
    processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:01:03 -0700, Bmorrison
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi - I want to write lots and lots of text into an Excel box - is there a
    >limit to how much I can enter, or can I change this? I can see all the text
    >in the top bar, but some of it disappears when I look in the spreadsheet.
    >I've wrapped the text, but some still disappears - any suggestions?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP