Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

  1. #1

    Someone wrote:
    > I need a formula that will show percent change from the
    > pervious month, the one I came up with is =SUM((D19-B19)/B19)

    This is just one example of many that use =SUM() unnecessarily.
    Presumably =(D19-B19)/B19 is just as good, if not better
    performance-wise.

    Why is this "screwy" idea so pervasive, namely using SUM() to
    bracket any arithmetic expression? Is there a lousy text on the
    market that is giving misleading instruction? Is this perhaps a
    carryover from requirements of ancient spreadsheet software
    (e.g. Visicalc)? (Not as I recall.)

    I know: I shouldn't care. But I hate to see people learn poor
    programming technique.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    All you say is true, "but", the important thing IMHO is that the person be
    able to come up with a solution/formula that THEY can understand. So, if at
    their particular level of expertize if they feel comfortable with the SUM(),
    then so be it. Each of us needs a solution that solves our problem. It may
    not always be the most efficient, or "best" solution, but is in such a form
    that we can come back to it next month or next year and still understand it
    and be able to edit it for our current needs. As we each use Excel more and
    more, we eventually learn to do things "better".

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    The only thing worse is:

    =+SUM((D19-B19)/B19)

    <vbg>

    Biff

  4. #4

    "CLR" wrote:
    > All you say is true, "but", the important thing IMHO is that
    > the person be able to come up with a solution/formula that
    > THEY can understand.

    I disagree. Anyone who uses a function called "SUM" to do an
    operation other than addition does not understand squat! At
    least some people do something like SUM(A1+B1), which is not
    quite so nonsensical.

    Actually, in most cases, the (mis)user of SUM() did not sound
    like an native English speaker. So the use of "SUM" might be
    irrelevant to the (mis)user. They might think of "SUM" as
    "compute ...".

    But that really wasn't the crux of my question. I want to know
    why so many people misuse SUM() in this way. I suspect that
    someone (or some text) is misleading these people. If it is a
    text, wouldn't it be nice to track down the publisher and let them
    know that the author is .... (Expletives deleted.)

  5. #5
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    I agree with CLR - the really important thing is that they understand what
    they've done and be able to make alterations to it that work when maintenance
    or extension of features is required.

    What you are discussing is a matter of both knowledge of the language and
    style.

    As the people who "misuse" the language get more familiar with it and see
    other functions or code implemented they will learn 'cleaner' ways of doing
    things.

    But for someone trying to be self-sufficient, having something that works
    and that they can maintain is much more important than whether they did it in
    great style or not. But that's just my opinion, and like coding styles, we
    each have our own.

  6. #6

    "JLatham" wrote:
    > I agree with CLR - the really important thing is that they understand
    > what they've done

    You and CLR both misunderstand my original question. I am not
    criticizing people for using SUM() in this "unorthodox" manner.
    I am asking: whatever possessed anyone, much less __a_lot__
    of people, to misuse SUM() in this manner? Why SUM()? Why
    not MAX() or MIN(), for example?

    They "must" be getting this idea from somewhere. Where!?

    This is a "Genesis" question. Not "what is the meaning of life?",
    but "where did life come from, in the first place?".

    So far as I can tell, there is no way that anyone learning Excel
    for the first time would, on their own, stumble upon SUM() as
    the "universal" function for all arithmetic. On the contrary, I can
    imagine people writing expressions like "A1+A2+A3+...+A26"
    long before some kind soul tells them they can do SUM(A1:A26).

    And if you suggest that once they learn of SUM() for that purpose,
    it is "logical" that they would apply it to all expression, I would
    have to disagree strongly. If we are assuming extremely little
    (apparently almost no) understanding of formula design in Excel,
    it is a huge leap from SUM(A1:A26) to SUM(A1-B1) (an oxymoron),
    much less SUM((A1-B1)/B1), especially for anyone with so little
    understanding of the language that they cannot imagine that
    =(A1-B1)/B1 would do the same job.

    So on the contrary, I suspect that someone has taught people
    that SUM() is the "best" way to write an expression for __some__
    reason.

    I wish someone would tell me that reason. Honestly, I cannot
    imagine one. And I am usually very good at ferreting out the
    origin of misunderstandings of all kinds, especially linguistic and
    cultural. This one has me stumped.

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    I think the problem is that many people approach their problems thinking
    that if they want to get a solution, they need a function. If you are going
    to do an arithmetic operation, then you need an arithmetic function, and SUM
    is the only obvious example. IMO, it is because of this pervasive attitude
    that anyone can pick up a spreadsheet and start using it without any
    training. They may be able to do, but for most, it takes training to use it
    properly, to understand properly its capabilities, and to avoid the
    'obvious' pitfalls.

    Bob Phillips

  8. #8
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > "JLatham" wrote:
    >> I agree with CLR - the really important thing is that they understand
    >> what they've done

    > You and CLR both misunderstand my original question. I am not
    > criticizing people for using SUM() in this "unorthodox" manner.
    > I am asking: whatever possessed anyone, much less __a_lot__
    > of people, to misuse SUM() in this manner? Why SUM()? Why
    > not MAX() or MIN(), for example?
    >
    > They "must" be getting this idea from somewhere. Where!?
    >
    > This is a "Genesis" question. Not "what is the meaning of life?",
    > but "where did life come from, in the first place?".
    >
    > So far as I can tell, there is no way that anyone learning Excel
    > for the first time would, on their own, stumble upon SUM() as
    > the "universal" function for all arithmetic. On the contrary, I can
    > imagine people writing expressions like "A1+A2+A3+...+A26"
    > long before some kind soul tells them they can do SUM(A1:A26).
    >
    > And if you suggest that once they learn of SUM() for that purpose,
    > it is "logical" that they would apply it to all expression, I would
    > have to disagree strongly. If we are assuming extremely little
    > (apparently almost no) understanding of formula design in Excel,
    > it is a huge leap from SUM(A1:A26) to SUM(A1-B1) (an oxymoron),
    > much less SUM((A1-B1)/B1), especially for anyone with so little
    > understanding of the language that they cannot imagine that
    > =(A1-B1)/B1 would do the same job.
    >
    > So on the contrary, I suspect that someone has taught people
    > that SUM() is the "best" way to write an expression for __some__
    > reason.
    >
    > I wish someone would tell me that reason. Honestly, I cannot
    > imagine one. And I am usually very good at ferreting out the
    > origin of misunderstandings of all kinds, especially linguistic and
    > cultural. This one has me stumped.

    I agree entirely with your question. The unnecessary use of SUM() annoys me
    too, and the more often it is left unquestioned, the more we will see naive
    users assuming that this is correct usage.

    I will wait eagerly to see whether you get an answer as to where this
    incorrect usage originated.
    --
    David Biddulph

  9. #9

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    I think that one of the first things people learn is how to add two cells:

    =sum(a1+a2)

    And if

  10. #10

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    oops.

    I think that one of the first things people learn is how to add two cells:

    =sum(a1+a2)

    And if =sum() works with addition, it's got to work with other operators. It's
    the universal function for math.

  11. #11

    "Dave Peterson" wrote:
    > I think that one of the first things people learn is how to add
    > two cells: =sum(a1+a2)

    Okay. Dovetailing Dave's idea with Bob's, I would speculate
    that one of the first uses of formulas that people encounter
    is summing a column of numbers, such as a balance sheet.
    The form of such a spreadsheet is a column of cells with simple
    numbers followed by a cell of the form =SUM(A2:...) or
    =SUM(A2+A3+...). People might conclude that arithmetic
    expressions must always be enclosed in a function, and SUM()
    might be the first or only function they are exposed to. This
    conclusion might be reinforced when they see responses in
    these forums that misuse SUM() as well.

    So if we accept Dave and Bob's theory, it becomes all the
    more important that when we see this misuse of SUM() in
    postings, we explain that SUM() is unnecessary, rather than
    simpy accept it tacitly, much less defend it, as just another
    "coding style". It is not "just a matter of style" when someone
    names a constant variable TWO and assigns it the value of 3,
    even though that might work just fine in his application.

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    I think that advice is offered quite frequently Joe, and whilst I cannot
    speak for Dave, I cannot see it as big an issue as you seem to. I don't like
    it personally, but that is almost irrelevant IMO.

    Bob Phillips

  13. #13
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    Right on Bob!......and as I see where an OP has made a concerted effort to
    write their formula and would work except for some small difference, I
    personally will continue to enlighten them of only the problem and not pop
    their bubble for coming so close...... If they are going to continue much
    with Excel, they will learn, with time.........if they are not, it makes no
    matter.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  14. #14
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    To me, it's not so much that I "don't like it" - it works, and I'm ok with
    that. But when I encounter such a thing, I try to take the opportunity to
    tactfully show them an "easier" way to do it. I know some people that don't
    indent their code, as in inside of loops, IF THEN statements, etc, and that
    just plain makes me crazy with I try to read the code. But I'm not going to
    excommunicate the person for not following my standards - as long as they
    aren't working on my programming team at least. These kinds of things are
    why organizations set up things like programming standards and language use
    guidelines and naming conventions.

  15. #15
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    In a way it very well may be Microsoft via Excel Help teaching people to do
    it that way.

    If you start off searching Excel Help for "add two numbers" you eventually
    end up here:
    and if you look there, the first example simply adds 2 numbers, as =2 + 5,
    but the very next example uses the autosum feature and that's where they
    start referencing cells, so perhaps people are getting the idea that to work
    with cell values they must encapsulate them within the SUM() function?
    That's my best guess. To get an absolute answer, you'd have to go ask people
    who do it that way WHY they do it that way.

  16. #16
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    Just to let you know, if someone is relatively new to excel, and even
    newer to using formulas, they could potentially be mislead by the help
    guide in excel. When you go into the help file to learn formalas, it
    does not bread down every math equation effectively. So the real issue
    you seem to have seems to be with microsoft, and the way they develop
    their help files. Important issue to bring up, considering they make
    the software, but then again, if they answered every question in the
    help file, who would need people like us.
    Cheers,
    Jason

  17. #17
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    If they could even every possible question, they would be bigger, better and
    richer than they are. That is an impossible ask IMO <G>

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  18. #18

    "JLatham" wrote:
    > In a way it very well may be Microsoft via Excel Help teaching
    > people to do it that way. If you start off searching Excel Help
    > for "add two numbers" you eventually end up here:
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...561151033.aspx
    > and if you look there, the first example simply adds 2 numbers,
    > as =2 + 5, but the very next example uses the autosum feature
    > and that's where they start referencing cells, so perhaps people
    > are getting the idea that to work with cell values they must
    > encapsulate them within the SUM() function?

    At this point, we are beating a dead horse. But just some clarifications.

    First, that web page is all about "adding", which of course is
    consistent with the SUM() functionality. While I retch at things
    like SUM(A1+A2), at least that is not incongruous. But I hasten
    to point out that the first example of cell references on that web
    page shows SUM(B2,B5,B7). So it seems unlike that that web
    page leads to the misuses we see.

    Second, I was talking about oxymoronic uses of SUM() -- for
    example, to encapsulate an expression that computes a ratio or
    a difference, things that have nothing to do with SUM. I see
    nothing on that web page that would lead someone to those
    misuses. Indeed, if they learned Excel by reading the "add
    numbers" web page, they probably also looked at "subtract
    numbers", "multiply numbers" and "divide numbers", all of which
    show examples of formulas of the form =A1-A2, =A1*A2 and
    =A1/A2.

    (Arguably, the closest thing to misguiding people is the suggestion
    to use SUM to "subtract numbers in a range". The text is very
    clear that this applies when the range includes negative numbers;
    ergo, we are not really subtracting (klunk!). But I can see where
    this explanation might lead to some misunderstanding.)

    Third, to compare these incongruous misuses of SUM() to style
    differences like indentation (as you did in another posting) is like
    comparing apples and oranges. Indentation is indeed a very
    subjective thing. The lack of or overuse of it does not reflect
    any misunderstanding. I think my comparison with TWO having
    the value of 3 is more relevant.

    > That's my best guess. To get an absolute answer, you'd have
    > to go ask people who do it that way WHY they do it that way.

    Frankly, I was hoping that some of them would respond to this
    thread.

    I would like to return to my theory that something in nascent
    spreadsheet software might mislead people. I am struggling
    to remember the original Visicalc. I remember that Multiplan
    introduced significant improvements, which I preferred. I do
    not remember what they were. But Visicalc was introduced
    on computers with very limited memory by today's standards.
    It would not surprise me if its parsing algorithms were primitive,
    and perhaps (WAG) it required that expressions be a function
    parameter in order to aid recognition. Does anyone remember
    the original Visicalc syntax for expressions?

    Anyway, as I said, we are (I am) beating a dead horse. I was
    just curious.

  19. #19

    Possible answer

    When I started using excel and started to learn how to do formulas etc. the first thing I learned was how to 'quickly' sum a set of cells with the Autosum feature rather than actually writing the formula. When using Autosum which I used most frequently in the beginning it automatically starts with SUM at the beginning of the formula. Now I, not knowing any better, naturally assumed that that was how a simple formula was started. I assumed that the formula had to have some kind of command at the start to tell it what to do, so I thought SUM was needed when calculating something. So I think, and I may be wrong as I am still only learning, that excel itself is the genesis of this with the autosum feature... how many people that start using excel will learn to actually write formulas BEFORE using autosum? And if someone is not taught to do it differently then they will continue to do it the way they have always done it...

  20. #20
    Forum Contributor

    Reason People use SUM

    the reason is simple.

    Most excel users learn from trial and error....not reading a book.

    When a beginner or intermediate excel user wants to write a formula they will usually start with the "Autosum" button in the toolbar. Immediately the formula starts with SUM(). As a beginner many people will assume that this SUM() is necessary in order to calculate the equation.

    As time goes on and the user become more advanced this idea sticks with them.

    So it's Microsoft that is in a way misleading users.

  21. #21
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Why do people use SUM() unnecessarily?

    I always thought it was a carryover from Louuuuuuuutus

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...