how many if statements can you have in one formula?

  1. #1
    bvehslage
    Guest

    how many if statements can you have in one formula?

    I have nine conditions I want the IF statement to recognize, but when I enter
    the formula I get an error after the 8th condition.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: HOW MANY IF STATEMENTS CAN YOU HAVE IN ONE FORMULA?

    You can only use 7 nested IF. There are other options, like CHOOSE, VLOOKUP
    or MATCH/INDEX that may fit in your particular case, check the help for those
    functions as that may give you ideas.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: HOW MANY IF STATEMENTS CAN YOU HAVE IN ONE FORMULA?

    You can actually have quite a few. While you can only have 7 nested if
    statements, you can format you equation to unnest the ifs in most occurances
    for example
    =if(a1>2,5,if(a1>0,3,1) has two levels of ifs

    while
    =if(a1>2,5,0)+if(and(A1>0,A1<=2),3,0) and if(A1<=0,1,0)
    will give the same answer with one level of if staements.

    There are multiple other equations which will give the same answer, but will
    not be hit by the 7 nested limit.