Can't edit in cell anymore

  1. #1

    Can't edit in cell anymore

    I suddenly can not edit in a cell by double-clicking on it. I can only
    edit in the fx bar on top. Other sheets in the workbook still work
    normally.
    What causes this, how can I fix it and how can I make sure it doesn't
    happen again?

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Can't edit in cell anymore

    tools/options/edit tab, edit directly in cell checkbox
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Can't edit in cell anymore

    Tools>options>edit, select "edit directly in the cell"

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4

    Re: Can't edit in cell anymore

    Nope, it's selected. Excel is crashing now. The graphics are all
    haywire, and the scrolling is shot. I can not scroll with the scroll
    wheel, the cursor goes off the page instead of scrolling the sheet
    (although the cell contents are displayed in the fx line), I can't use
    "pick from drop down list" anymore (excel does nothing).
    There is something spectacularly wrong here. What's weird is that it's
    only one the one sheet, the rest are fine so far.

  5. #5
    **Gail**
    Guest

    Re: Can't edit in cell anymore

    Reboot

    :

  6. #6
    Philadelphia PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003, Excel 2007

    Thumbs up Re: Can't edit in cell anymore

    In case you're here because the "Allow editing directly in cells" option touted in other answers on the net doesn't seem to work, it might be corruption in the workbook.

    I had this problem with an Excel 2007 workbook, and no amount of fiddling with protection or global settings made any difference.

    So I copy-and-pasted the data to a new workbook, and that worked. I also tried just dragging the sheet from the old workbook to the new one, and that also worked.

    JP

  7. #7
    US, of A
    MS-Off Ver

    Cool Re: Can't edit in cell anymore

    If this happens when you have more than one sheet open, you probably made a selection of more than one cell in another sheet. You can't directly edit until you cancel the selection. This is why clicking on the other sheet solves the problem.