using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

  1. #1
    njuneardave
    Guest

    using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

    Hi,

    Here is a description of my problem:

    I have a project that contains two very large worksheets that are possibly
    different sizes (depending on results of a program. approximately 3000-8000
    lines). The first sheet has a value in column H, and I need to verify that
    the variable in column 8 of the first sheet exists in column A of the second
    sheet. If it exists, I want to populate a 3rd sheet with that value. If it
    does not exist, I want to populate the 3rd sheet with a blank in that value's
    spot. So, the 3rd sheet will be the same size as the 1st sheet (it will
    either have the value that was found or a blank spot).

    thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

    Hi,
    Please try this:

    In cell A1 on the third worksheet enter:

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Sheet1!H1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$9000,1,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(Sheet1!H1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$9000,1,FALSE))

    --
    Ken Hudson

  3. #3
    njuneardave
    Guest

    RE: using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

    Ken,

    Logically, that works for me. It looks correct. However, when I put it
    into my "output sheet" in column A1....nothing happens. It is pasted in
    there, but the cell still remains blank. Any advice?

    Thanks for the help!

  4. #4
    njuneardave
    Guest

    RE: using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

    Ken,

    disregard that other post. I was making a stupid mistake (as in, the first
    value of that table didn't have a corresponding value in sheet2). Yes, your
    solution worked wonderfully. Thank you for that help!

    Now, a followup question:

    Say I did that procedure to populate a column of sheet3 (output sheet).
    Then I had another column populated thru a similar VLOOKUP function (say,
    column2). Now, if both columns returned a valid value (instead of a
    blank..or NaN), I would want to populate the output sheet completely with all
    of the values of Sheet1 (the values are located in Columns A - L) for the
    corresponding valid values. However, if one of the two columns returned a
    NaN/blank, I would leave the rest of the columns blank.

    Basically, I want to duplicate all of the info from Sheet1 if the values
    from the 2 columns of Sheet1 are corresponding in the Sheet2, but if the
    value was invalid in either column1 or column2, I want to leave the rest
    blank. Suppose I want this output in column3

  5. #5
    njuneardave
    Guest

    RE: using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

    Also, in addition to the code that you wrote:

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Data!H1,Types!$A$1:$A$9000,1,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(Data!H1,Types!$A$1:$A$9000,1,FALSE))

    What if there are values that I know are in Sheet 1 but not in Sheet 2 that
    I want to exclude from the search. suppose, for example, Sheet 1 had like
    "Balloons" in it 2000 times, but Sheet2 never had balloons (and i know this),
    so I want to exclude balloons from my search. How would i do that? There
    are three values that I want to leave out from the search: balloons,
    confetti, and streamers. How do I exclude those three from that original
    search code that you posted?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: using VLOOKUP across two separate worksheets

    Hi,
    When we get to this level of complexity, I usually resort to a macro solution.

    1. You want to exclude from the output on Sheet3 all rows of data on Sheet1
    that
    have "balloons", "confetti", or "streamers" in column A? Could these words
    be in column B also? If so, do we test for that and exclude that row based on
    column B?

    2. You want to compare column A on Sheet1 to column A on Sheet2 and column B
    on Sheet1 to column B on sheet2. If they match, you want to copy columns A-L
    from Sheet1 to Sheet3?

    Is this the correct logic?
    --
    Ken Hudson