average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

  1. #1
    Kycajun
    Guest

    average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    I am averaging the following:

    =AVERAGE(G67:G76), this works fine (simple formula). However, if nothing is
    entered in all of these cells, I would like my results cell to display 0.
    Currently if nothing is entered for G67 thru G76, it results in #DIV/0!. I
    just want it to show 0. I know this is simple, but I am dancing all around
    it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    Give this a try:

    =IF(ISERR(AVERAGE(G67:G76))=TRUE,0,AVERAGE(G67:G76))

  3. #3
    Kycajun
    Guest

    RE: average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    Closer. Typing that in currently displays a blank cell. So the error is
    gone, but it is not displaying 0 if nothing is entered. Any suggestions?

  4. #4
    shaunap
    Guest

    RE: average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    Is it a completely blank cell or a dash in the centre of the cell? If it's a
    dash then it's most likely your formatting setting. Change the format of the
    cell and you should get a 0. I tried Tim's formula in my own sheet and got a
    0. Another way to do the same formula is as follows

    =IF(ISERROR(AVERAGE(G67:G76)),0,AVERAGE(G67:G76))

    If it's a completely blank cell you've stumped me.

  5. #5
    Kycajun
    Guest

    RE: average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    I tried that formula as well and still receive an empty cell as my result.
    The cells G67:G76 would be completely blank. No dash or anything. Thanks
    for the response. Anyone else???

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    Shouldn't do, it should show 0, unless you have zeroes suppressed
    (Tools>Options>General>Zero Values).

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Kycajun
    Guest

    Re: average cells, show 0 if nothing to average

    Genius!!! I sure did, as was my intention, yet forgot when trying to
    implement this forumula. Thanks to all for replying as all of your answers
    were correct, just user error!

  8. #8
    jpreman

    "Kycajun" wrote:

    > Genius!!! I sure did, as was my intention, yet forgot when trying to
    > implement this forumula. Thanks to all for replying as all of your answers
    > were correct, just user error!
    >
    > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
    >
    > > Shouldn't do, it should show 0, unless you have zeroes suppressed
    > > (Tools>Options>General>Zero Values).
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Bob Phillips
    > >
    > > (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)
    > >
    > > "Kycajun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Closer. Typing that in currently displays a blank cell. So the error is
    > > > gone, but it is not displaying 0 if nothing is entered. Any suggestions?

    > > nothing is

    > > 0.

    > > #DIV/0!. I

    > > around

    You may try this too.

    =IF(SUM(G67:G76)=0,0,AVERAGE(G67:G76)

    For some reason if you believe it is incorrect, kindly let me know.

  9. #9
    jpreman