Combining data from two columns

  1. #1
    dziw
    Guest

    Combining data from two columns

    If I have two columns which are lists of names, how do I make a new column which merges the names from each column into one list, and will refresh when new data is added to the two originals.

  2. #2
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Try:

    =A1 & A2
    or
    =A1 & " " & A2 (if you want a space between the two text
    items...)

    or
    =CONCATENATE(A1 & B1)

    =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1) (if you want a space between the two text
    items...)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    dziw
    Guest
    Thanks, but I wasn't clear. Each column is a separate category of names, so I'm not combining each cell (i.e. first & last), but am making a new longer column combining all the names from each column.

  4. #4
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Here's some code you might be able to use.

    Range("A1:" & Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Address).Select
    Selection.Copy

    Range("C1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

    Range("B1:" & Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Address).Select
    Selection.Copy

    Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

    'If you want to remove duplicate names or entries, use this code
    ' This function must sort first.
    Range("C1:" & (Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Address)).Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending,
    Header:=xlNo, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
    ColNum = Selection(1).Column
    For RowNdx = Selection(Selection.Cells.Count).Row To _
    Selection(1).Row + 1 Step -1
    If Cells(RowNdx, ColNum).Value = Cells(RowNdx - 1, ColNum).Value
    Then
    Cells(RowNdx, ColNum).Value = ""
    End If
    Next RowNdx

    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

    'End Remove Duplicates

    If you want it to update when the worksheet is changed, right-click on that
    worksheet and select View code.
    Click General dropdown and select Worksheet. Click other dropdown and
    select Change. Then enter the code above.

    HTH,
    Paul

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Combining data from two columns

    Assuming names start in A1 and B1, in C1 put this formula and copy
    down.........

    =A1&" "&B1

    or

    =B1&" "&A1

    hth
    Vaya con Dios
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6
    dziw
    Guest
    Thanks CLR, but I'm not trying to combine each cell together. I'm trying to make a new column (C) which includes each name from two other columns (A & B) and refeshes when A or B is updated with new names.

    PCLIVE-- How do I use that code?

  7. #7
    dziw
    Guest
    Bump for help with the code or other suggestions

  8. #8
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Here's a little mod of PCLIVE's code......

    Sub CombineColumns()
    'This macro will clear the contents of column C, then
    'copy the values from column A to column C, and then
    'append the values in column B to the bottom of that list in column C
    Range("c:c").ClearContents
    Range("A1:" & Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Address).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("C1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("B1:" & Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Address).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Select
    Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    End Sub

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  9. #9
    dziw
    Guest
    Thanks alot. It works.

    I'm not really familiar with coding, so how would I change the references if I'm referring to column A in another worksheet.

  10. #10
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Add "Worksheets("SheetName")." to the beginning of the Range References
    and change "Select" for those ones you want to copy, to "Copy". The
    modified code below will copy the specified range from the sheet you
    specify. Please change "SheetName" to the name of the sheet you want to
    copy from. It then pastes to the active sheet. Give it a try.

    Sub CombineColumns()
    'This macro will clear the contents of column C, then
    'copy the values from column A to column C, and then
    'append the values in column B to the bottom of that list in column C
    Range("c:c").ClearContents
    Worksheets("SheetName").Range("A1:" &
    Worksheets("SheetName").Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Address).Copy
    Range("C1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Worksheets("SheetName").Range("B1:" &
    Worksheets("SheetName").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Address).Copy

  11. #11
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    This will get the data from column A on Sheet2 and column B on Sheet3 and
    paste it all in column C on sheet1...........

    Sub CombineColumns()
    'This macro will clear the contents of column C, then
    'copy the values from column A to column C, and then
    'append the values in column B to the bottom of that list in column C
    Worksheets("sheet1").Select 'The sheet where you want the results
    Range("c:c").ClearContents
    Worksheets("sheet2").Select 'The sheet where column A data is
    Range("A1:" & Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Address).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Worksheets("sheet1").Select 'Go back to paste the data
    Range("C1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Worksheets("sheet3").Select 'the sheet where column B data is
    Range("B1:" & Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Address).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Worksheets("sheet1").Select 'go back to paste the data
    Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Select
    Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Range("c1").Select
    End Sub

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  12. #12
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Oops! There was wrap-around on that. Try this code
    news:%23mMI4Q%[email protected]...

  13. #13
    dziw
    Guest
    EDIT: ok, saw your update...it works. Thanks again.

    One, last question.

    Let's say I have a series of sheets and Sheet2C refers to Sheet1A & Sheet2B, Sheet3C refers to Sheet2A & Sheet3C. Is there anyway to make it a continuous macro always referring back the the previous sheet for column A, or would I have to repaste a modified code for each new sheet added?

    That might be unclear. What I mean, is in the code instead of typing in the specific spreadsheet, I'd like the worksheet reference for A to be "Previous worksheet" and worksheet reference for B to be "Current worksheet" if that makes more sense.
    Last edited by dziw; 08-04-2006 at 01:24 PM.

  14. #14
    dziw
    Guest
    Bump for help with referencing previous/current sheets.

    Basically, I have a series of months a worksheets, with categories of names in columns. Each month the names shift to different categories, and one category combines names.

    I want to see if I have to write one long code with each month, or a short code that refers to the previous and current worksheet.

  15. #15
    dziw
    Guest
    Having a problem with the code. It was working when copying cells with the names in the actual cell on a sample worksheet.

    But, on the actual worksheet, the names in the cells are references to cells from previous month worksheets. When I run the code like that, it doesn't work properly.

    Any way to change the code?

  16. #16
    Toronto, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Or you can simply use the DigDB plugin - its much easier and faster.

    Details: Append data to column in Excel using DigDB

  17. #17
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Please don't post in old threads.

    Thanks.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

  18. #18
    London
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Combining data from two columns

    Hi, try this combining cells in Excel. You can combine multiple columns into one cell regardless of if you are using formulas or not.