Data Validation - Multiple columns in drop down?

  1. #1
    bluegrassstateworker
    Guest

    Data Validation - Multiple columns in drop down?

    In Access, I can have a drop down list based on another table and can
    show several fields within that dropdown list but the value selected is
    based on one field. For Example, (in Access) a drop down list may
    show: 721 SERVICE DEPARTMENT, but only the value 721 may be input into
    the value selected.

    Is there a way this can be done with the data validation within Excel?
    I have a spreadsheet given to users as a type of electronic form that
    is sent back to me for consolidation. The users need more explanation
    than I do; I already know that 721 is the SERVICE DEPARTMENT.

    I did have two separate columns: one for 721 and another for SERVICE
    DEPARTMENT but ended up concatenating the value to another column for
    use in my data validation list. This clutters the spreadsheet with
    data I dont need. I will eventually be exporting this information into
    an Access database and want to keep the field sizes as small as
    possible since a separate table can be linked to define that 721 will
    equal "SERVICE DEPARTMENT"

    Any Ideas? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Multiple columns in drop down?

    You can do this with data validation and programming. There's a sample
    file here:

    Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0005 - Data Validation "Columns"'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    bluegrassstateworker
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Multiple columns in drop down?

    That did exactly what I was wanting it to. Thanks so much!

  4. #4
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Data Validation - Multiple columns in drop down?

    Hi,

    I've looked at DV004 and DV005, both of which work very nicely, but...

    I've set it up to display a description and use the list/vba to enter the corresponding code, e.g. the user selects 'Finance' from the drop-down list and the code 'Fin' is entered into the cell.

    Is there anyway of doing this so that a user can optionally enter the code (Fin) directly, rather than selecting it from the Drop-down list? Even better with the same capitalisation, e.g. 'Fin' not 'fin'?

    As things stand, trying to do this produces an error message.

    Many thanks.

    Peter