Save CSV file as Pipe delimited text file

  1. #1

    Save CSV file as Pipe delimited text file

    Hi,

    my boss send me a mail with 5 csv files and wants me to load them as a pipe delimited text file to our IT department. Since the whole IT department is already at home and I have to do it this evening, I hope to find some help here.
    Thank you very much in advance!!

    Kind regards

    Tim

  2. #2
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Save CSV file as Pipe delimited text file

    Where do you need to load these files to? Excel? Access?

  3. #3

    Re: Save CSV file as Pipe delimited text file

    If you're lucky, you could open each CSV file in Notepad and do
    edit|replace
    what: , (comma)
    with: | (pipe)
    replace all

    But this will change any field that has embedded commas, too.

    ====
    If that is a problem, then I would open the .csv files in excel
    (and copy|paste to merge them into one worksheet--not sure about that)

    Then change my windows regional settings (in the control panel) list separator
    from a comma to a pipe.

    Then file|saveas as a .csv file

    Open the file in Notepad to verify it.

    And change my list separator back to a comma.

  4. #4
    Thanks a lot!!

  5. #5
    Dave I know you posted this a while ago but thanks, yes at last I understand how to open pipe csv in excell 2000 for UK.

  6. #6
    Denver, CO
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Save CSV file as Pipe delimited text file

    Just wanted to add that this works or Excel 2007, as well, on Windows XP Pro.

    Thanks for posting the solution.