Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Moving Weighted Average formula

  1. #1

    Moving Weighted Average formula

    Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew of an excel formula that would let me calculate a weighted moving average, for data that is going down a column in excel.

    I have a formula for a simple moving average, however am having trouble thinking of one for a weighted moving average.

  2. #2
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Moving Weighted Average formula

    This may help:http://www.swpp.org/newsletter/summe...cedtopics.html

  3. #3
    Thanks Dave, however I was thinking of something more general, as I often need to change the moving average period, and a formula like that gets a bit cumbersome when the period is > 20.

  4. #4
    Nikki
    Guest

    RE: Moving Weighted Average formula

    by weighted do you mean you have two columns and you want to get a WA?
    if so you can use:
    =sumproduct(columnA,ColumnB) which is =(a1xb1+a2*b2+...)/(a1+b2+...)

    Hope this works, otherwise please provide more detail.

    Regards-

  5. #5
    No, I only have one column of data I want the MWA from.

    eg: B1:B4 is the data, C3:C4 is the MWA.

    3 period moving average in C3 is (B1*1 + B2*2 + B3*3)/(3 + 2 + 1)
    3 period moving average in C4 is (B2*1 + B3*2 + B4*3)/(3 + 2 + 1)

    etc

    I cannot use another column and multiply the values, as the values I multiply by (the weights) change for each cell.

    Hope this makes some kind of sense .

    Ori
    Last edited by Ori; 08-17-2006 at 06:01 PM.

  6. #6
    Hmm, come to think of it, I may just have to write out that formula a few times. What I currently have (with non weighted MAs) is a cell at the top of the column which determines the period, so I can change that and all the formulas are linked to it.

    I just cant figure out how to do that with a weighted average.

  7. #7
    Southen Hemisphere
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Moving Weighted Average formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Ori View Post
    Hmm, come to think of it, I may just have to write out that formula a few times. What I currently have (with non weighted MAs) is a cell at the top of the column which determines the period, so I can change that and all the formulas are linked to it.

    I just cant figure out how to do that with a weighted average.
    In case anyone comes searching like I did, SUMPRODUCT() can do weighted moving average easily:

    A1:A5 contains normalized weights (sum of them is 1)
    B1:B1000 contains data
    C5:C1000 contains WMAs

    C5=SUMPRODUCT(B1:B5, A$1:A$5)

    Then copy to all the other cells in C

  8. #8
    ljubljana
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Moving Weighted Average formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Ori View Post
    Hmm, come to think of it, I may just have to write out that formula a few times. What I currently have (with non weighted MAs) is a cell at the top of the column which determines the period, so I can change that and all the formulas are linked to it.

    I just cant figure out how to do that with a weighted average.
    HI

    i did some extensive testing on moving averages and other methods by modeling in Excel.

    Attached are some WMA Weighted Moving average Examples. If you need more advanced methods such as Holt Winters aditive or multiplikative ( sort of moving averages too) let me know. Mind that with all that methods you have to calculate the error (Such as MSE) and user solver to minimze the Error and determine the weight at the same time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kapucino; 06-05-2010 at 12:48 PM.

  9. #9
    Marlow, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Moving Weighted Average formula

    That link to me to a page that I didn't like the look of. Can you post the examples on the forum please? Thanks Robert

Closed Thread