Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Help, please, I'm stuck

  1. #1

    Help, please, I'm stuck

    I am new to this forum and desperately need help. I have to print 9,275 envelopes. When my client sent the excel list, it is in all caps. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change all caps to upper and lower case that I need.

    I don't know excel very well and would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone can give.

    Many thanks, Harvest

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Help, please, I'm stuck

    Ok, since you're new to to Excel, I'll take this step by step.

    If there are no empty sheets in the workbook, use Insert | Worksheet to get
    a new, empty sheet into it.

    Assuming that your current list starts in cell A1 on a sheet, go to cell A1
    on the new sheet and enter
    =Proper(
    and then click on the sheet with the current information on it and click
    cell A1 there, then type a closing parenthesis and hit enter. The formula
    should look something like this
    =Proper('SheetName'!A1)

    Move your cursor to the lower right corner of cell A1 on the new sheet with
    the one formula on it until it becomes a small + symbol instead of the
    regular large cross, then press and hold the left mouse button and drag
    across the row until you've gone as far across the new sheet as your data
    goes on the old sheet. Release the mouse button and you should see the text
    from the entries on the old sheet in that row.

    Now highlight the cells from A1 over to where you stopped before and then
    move the cursor to the lower right corner of the right-most cell and press
    and hold the left mousebutton again and drag down the sheet to the end of the
    rows used on the first sheet.

    Don't worry if you accidentally release the mouse button in the middle of
    things, you can just highlight the info in the last row you made it to and
    again start dragging down the sheet.

    If you go too far, no big deal you can just delete any extra columns/rows of
    stuff - rows will probably be more important than columns to delete for a
    mailing list.

    What PROPER() does is change to "proper case", for instance JLATHAM would
    become Jlatham, it pretty much changes things to the way you'll want most of
    it.

    There are other ways to 'fill' the formulas across/down the sheet, but I
    think this way is the best to offer to you right now.

  3. #3
    Damon Longworth
    Guest

    Re: Help, please, I'm stuck

    Have a look at the Proper function:

    =PROPER(A1)

    --
    Damon Longworth

    2006 West Coast Excel / Access User Conference
    October 25-27th, 2006
    Marina del Rey Hotel
    Marina del Rey, California USA
    http://www.exceluserconference.com/WCEUC.html

    "Harvest" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Help, please, I'm stuck

    You could use a macro to update the data in place.

    Chip Pearson has one:
    http://cpearson.com/excel/case.htm

  5. #5

    Lightbulb Fix for stuck mouse in Excel (as if you were click-dragging)

    To correct this, click on the wheel button on your mouse. This occurred to my a few years ago, and I remember googling to no avail, but somehow I was able to fix it.

    This happened to me today again, and guess what? It's caused by the scroll-wheel's click button!!!

    Click that click wheel once, and watch the problem go away.

    Enjoy.
    Jim

Closed Thread