Help! Error Message = No program is registered to open this File

  1. #1

    Help! Error Message = No program is registered to open this File

    Fellow forum members:
    I'm totally confused why all my Excel hyperlinks don't work and display the messages below everytime I select one:

    "Some files can contain viruses and otherwise be harmful to your computer. It is important that the file comes from a trustworthy source. Would you like to open the file?"

    "No program is registered to open this File"

    The first message is just annoying and I just press OK to make it go away. But the second message is serious and is preventing the hyperlink from working. What does Excel mean by telling me, "No program is registered to open this File"?. My research in this forum hints that this problem might be caused due to Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it doesn't tell me how to fix it. Can anyone out there help me figure out how to make my hyperlinks work? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2

    More Questions

    Something I need to add. All my hyperlinks are to AVI files. The File Type association I have setup for AVI files is to use a program called VideoLAN (it's a video player that offers much more than MS Media Player).

    When Excel points out that "No program is registered to open this File" is it referring to VideoLAN? How I do I make Excel acknowledge the existance of VideoLAN? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

  3. #3
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: Help! Error Message = No program is registered to open this File

    binar wrote:
    > Fellow forum members:
    > I'm totally confused why all my Excel hyperlinks don't work and display
    > the messages below everytime I select one:
    >
    > "Some files can contain viruses and otherwise be harmful to your
    > computer. It is important that the file comes from a trustworthy
    > source. Would you like to open the file?"
    >
    > "No program is registered to open this File"
    >
    > The first message is just annoying and I just press OK to make it go
    > away. But the second message is serious and is preventing the hyperlink
    > from working. What does Excel mean by telling me, "No program is
    > registered to open this File"?. My research in this forum hints that
    > this problem might be caused due to Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it
    > doesn't tell me how to fix it. Can anyone out there help me figure out
    > how to make my hyperlinks work? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank you.

    If you double-click on an AVI file in Explorer does VideoLan open that
    file? If not, you need to associate AVI files with the VideoLan program.

    Bill

  4. #4