How do i copy columns of data in notepad into microsoft excel?

  1. #1
    JP
    Guest

    How do i copy columns of data in notepad into microsoft excel?

    I have a several large columns of data stored in notepad. The columns are all
    next to each other. I need to put column 1 in column A in excel and column 2
    into column B in excel etc. Copy and paste does not work. I can’t just
    highlight one column I end up highlighting all 6 columns! If a just copy a
    paste all the data, the entire data just goes into column A of excel, and I
    can not perform any excel functions on the data. HELP! This is extremely
    annoying, I am beginning to think the only way is to copy each bit of data by
    hand into excel, but there over 1000 items!!!

    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How do i copy columns of data in notepad into microsoft excel?

    Just do File / Open in Excel and and change Filetype to *All*. Select your
    notepad file and when the wizard kicks in choose 'Delimited' and select
    Space as delimiter. Done.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How do i copy columns of data in notepad into microsoft excel?

    If you can't see your posts, get a newsreader, this is the 5th time you post
    the same question
    Open the text file directly from excel and you can import all columns
    (unless they are more than 256)

    Peo Sjoblom