How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step mode

  1. #1
    Chet Shannon
    Guest

    How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step mode

    I have Office 2003 and am writing some code. My question is how do I get
    the value of a variable to show up when I move the mouse cursor on top of
    that variable while single stepping through code?

    Previously this worked and I'm now single stepping through my code to debug
    it and the variables are not displaying their values when I move the mouse
    cursor over them. I know I can add a 'watch' also but this is inconvenient
    to do on-the-fly. Tools / auto data tips is turned on also.

    So it worked before and now it's not doing it. I don't know why. I've
    posted 3 times but no one has any ideas yet. Helllllp... any more ideas?

    Thanks,

    --
    Chet Shannon

  2. #2
    Ben
    Guest

    RE: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step mode

    Chet,
    Two options: (1)
    Have you tried

    debug.print YourVarName

    in your code, immediately after your variable? To use it, you would have to
    have your Immediate window enabled. Or,

    (2) Enable your debug toolbar in the VBA IDE, highlight the variable then
    click on the quick watch button on the toolbar, that is, the one with the
    glasses icon.

    HTH,
    Ben

  3. #3
    Chet Shannon
    Guest

    RE: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    Anyone know how to actually fix this so the value of the variable will
    display on mouse-over in debug mode? I've happily gotten a few work-arounds
    and alternate methods but no fix yet. Should I try the 'detect & repair'
    that Office 2003 has possibly?

    Thanks, Chet
    --
    Chet Shannon

  4. #4
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    In the VBA editor, go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the
    Editor tab. There, ensure that 'Auto Data Tips' is checked.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "Chet Shannon" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Chet Shannon
    Guest

    Re: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    Hi Chip,
    I do have this box checked and it has been checked, but still no display of
    variable values on mouse-over.

    Thx Chet
    --
    Chet Shannon

  6. #6
    Chet Shannon

  7. #7
    Chet Shannon

  8. #8
    Edward Ulle
    Guest

    Re: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    The value can be displayed only when the sub or function is inscope. If
    the variable is in a sub or function out of scope no value is displayed.

  9. #9
    Chet Shannon
    Guest

    Re: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    I think the value is inscope because there is only one sub and no
    sub-routines or jumping around. All values are 'present' (right word?) in
    the current sub I'm coding. Plus the value won't show in any of my code.
    It's not limited to just one sub. Thx Chet
    --
    Chet Shannon

  10. #10
    Chet Shannon
    Guest

    Re: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    Any more ideas on fixing this? Thx ! Chet
    --
    Chet Shannon

  11. #11
    Edward Ulle
    Guest

    Re: How show value of variable by mouse-over in debug single step

    Chet,

    Sorry the Auto Data Tips and inscope are the things I'm aware of.

    You say your single stepping through the code. So you are in the
    subroutine containing the highlighted line of code and no values are
    displayed. That is the module inscope.