Why wont my Pivot table update?

  1. #1
    Darin Kramer
    Guest

    Why wont my Pivot table update?

    Howdie...

    I have an existing workbook with many fully functional pivot tables.

    I update the data in the workbook, request the pivot table to update
    (refresh data) but it does not update.

    If I recreate the pivot table - it does infact update. Problem is I have
    many pivot tables, and I can see no reason for having to recreate
    something that is already there.

    If I use the pivot table wizard, I can confirm that the pivot table is
    referring to the correct data.
    Also if I look within the options of the pivot table field, (ie clicking
    on the drop down arrow on the pivot table) it is showing many options
    all ticked, but not displaying them in the body of the table?

    Anybody get any general suggestions to fix...?

    Thanks so much

    Regards

    Darin

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Why wont my Pivot table update?

    The actions you require are the normal actions of a pivot table.
    Therefore, it would be difficult to suggest an action which isn't required
    and therefore isn't provided for.

    If you are programmatically manipulating your pivottable, it is possible you
    have corrupted it. This is not hard to do.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    GB
    Guest

    RE: Why wont my Pivot table update?

    A few "trouble shooting" thoughts, though I agree with Tom... if your pivot
    table was originally built off of another pivot table (Which it ideally
    should to reduce file size) then the original should be updated. (I think)
    Hey, I'm just trying some other ideas...

    Umm.. Ensure that although the range is correct, that the pivot table is
    referring to data in the file that has the changed data. (I.e., not pointing
    to some copy of your current data that you obviously did not revise.) If you
    are getting any errors when trying to refresh the data, which I got one that
    was unexpected, though makes sense. After closing my file, I renamed it from
    the folder, not from the save function. When I then opened my file, all of
    my pivot tables referred/added the reference to the old file name. Of course
    the old file name no longer existed.

    Otherwise, I go with Tom's remark, the pivot table(s) may be corrupted, need
    to be rebuilt, and should satisfactorily function from that point forward.
    *knock on wood*