How to write in Word w/o Reference

  1. #1
    Gérard Ducouret
    Guest

    How to write in Word w/o Reference

    Hello,
    I need to write data and symbols in a Word document, without any Reference
    to Microsoft Word 11.0 because another application is disturbed by such a
    reference. So I tried the folowing macro, but the wdAlignParagraphCenter
    and .Color = wdColorRed don't work until I reset the reference.
    What can I do ?
    Thanks for your help.

    Gérard

    Public Sub CALL_WORD()
    Dim wrdApp As Object
    Dim wrdDoc As Object
    Dim MyTable4 As Object

    Set wrdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    wrdApp.Visible = True

    Set wrdDoc = wrdApp.Documents.Open(FileName:="D:\Mes
    documents\Pilotage\Fiche Pilotage 3 WPs V2.doc")

    Set MyTable4 = wrdDoc.Tables(4)
    MyTable4.Cell(Row:=4, Column:=11).Range.Text = Chr(236) 'Chr(236)
    'Flèche ascendante
    MyTable4.Cell(Row:=4, Column:=11).Range.Select
    wrdDoc.Application.Selection.ParagraphFormat.Alignment =
    wdAlignParagraphCenter 'Doesn't work!!!

    With wrdDoc.Application.Selection.Font
    .Name = "Wingdings"
    .Size = 16
    .Bold = True
    .Color = wdColorRed ''Doesn't work!!!
    End With

    wrdDoc.Close SaveChanges:=True
    wrdApp.Quit
    Set wrdApp = Nothing
    Set wrdDoc = Nothing

    End Sub

  2. #2
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: How to write in Word w/o Reference

    Hi,

    I've just answered your related post before reading this one.

    On this 'wdAlignParagraphCenter' is only known when the reference is set.

    wdAlignParagraphCenter will be part of an enumeration & therefore have a
    numeric representation (just checked, it is 1). You would need to either
    validate (or assume - as it probably is) that it was the same in all versions
    & use the number, or, better set up your own enumeration within your code
    (public type) with scope as required.

    Regards,

    Chris.

    --
    Chris Marlow
    MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: How to write in Word w/o Reference

    these represent constants that are defined in the Word object library. When
    you late bind, these constants are not defined and are just
    undefined/uninitialized variables and result in a value of zero. The
    solution is to use there defined value instead of the constant.

    instead of
    .Color = wdColorRed
    you would do

    ? wdred
    6

    .color = 6

    ? wdAlignParagraphCenter
    1

    so

    wrdDoc.Application.Selection.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = 1

    as examples.

    to get the values,

    ? wdAlignParagraphCenter
    1

    is from the immediate window of excel after creating a reference to word.

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: How to write in Word w/o Reference

    Using the hard coded number should be robust for any version that supports
    that object/property/method

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Gérard Ducouret