Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

  1. #1
    Florence
    Guest

    Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Dear all,

    I have the following scripts that assign value & validate for specific column:

    If Target.Column = 20 Then
    Sheet1.Unprotect "password"
    If Len(Target.Value) = 0 Then
    With Target(1, 0)
    .Value = Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column - 7)
    With .Validation
    End With
    End With
    End If
    ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:= _
    False, AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True, AllowUsingPivotTables:= _
    True
    Sheet1.Protect "password", , , , , , , , , , , , , True, True, True
    End If

    It's working properly in exclusive mode but failed when sharing the workbook
    (Set it under the "Tools" manual).

    Much appreciate for your any idea!!

    Thanks in advance!

    Florence

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Hi Florence,

    See Limitations of shared workbooks' in Excel help.

    Specifically, this article indicates that shared workbooks will not allow
    the application or removal of sheet protection passwords.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Florence
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Thx Norman,

    It's understood. So I'm thinking of cancelation before entering into the
    loop and share it again before leaving the loop.

    I found an "ActiveWorkbook.SharedWorkspace" command for sharing workspace.
    Is there any similiar method that can enable & disable workbook sharing?

    Regards,

    Florence

  4. #4
    Florence
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    One more finding:

    Even I can unprotect the worksheet, the "With Validation" cannot be executed
    in the shared workbook.

    So I think I need to be able to control the sharing inside the script.

  5. #5
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Hi Florence,

    See the ProtectSharing method in VBA help.

    ---

  6. #6
    Florence
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Thanks agian Norman,

    The script can be executed by "ActiveWorkbook.UnprotectSharing" when
    entering into the loop and "ActiveWorkbook.ProtectSharing" before leaving the
    loop.

    But it generates another question: Such method is used to "Saves the
    workbook and protects it for sharing.", it asks me about "file already exists
    in this location, do you want to replace it?" for every cell changes. i.e. I
    have 6000 rows in my spreadsheet so the user will be asked to replace the
    file for 6000 times.

    Is there any ways to ignore the dialogue box?

    Regards,

    Florence

  7. #7
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Hi Florence,

    Firstly, my knowledge of Shared workbooks is severely limited as I never use
    them - the limitations are such as to deter me.

    That said, post the problemtic code section and I will look at it.

    ---

  8. #8
    Florence
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Helo Norman,

    Here it is:

    =====================

    On Error GoTo BadChange
    Application.EnableEvents = False

    ' Check the column 19, set 0 at the column 18 if any options selected.
    If Target.Column = 19 Then

    ActiveWorkbook.UnprotectSharing sharingpassword:="123456"

    If Len(Target.Value) = 0 Then
    With Target(1, 0)
    .Value = Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column - 5)
    With .Validation
    End With
    End With
    Else
    With Target(1, 0)
    .Value = 0
    With .Validation
    End With
    End With
    End If

    ActiveWorkbook.ProtectSharing Filename:=strFilePathName,
    sharingpassword:="123456"

    End If

    =====================

    Any idea?

    Thx!

    Florence

  9. #9
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Can I unprotect / protect a shared workbook?

    Hi Florence,

    To suppress the unwanted messages, try adding the line:

    Application.DisplayAlerts =False

    immediately *before*:

    > ActiveWorkbook.UnprotectSharing sharingpassword:="123456"

    Similarly, add the line:

    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

    immediately *after* the line:

    > ActiveWorkbook.ProtectSharing Filename:=strFilePathName,
    > sharingpassword:="123456"

    In my tests, I deleted :
    Filename:=strFilePathName
    in the above line.

    In testing, this worked for me and suppressed the alert messages which you
    complain about, although there is, necessarily, a brief, but perceptible,
    pause while the file is saved in the background.

    ---