Excel VBA: calculating checksums

  1. #1
    Henry
    Guest

    Excel VBA: calculating checksums

    I need to be able to calculate checksums (CRC32 algorighm) in Excel VBA
    using Excel 2003. I have encrypted passwords and security groups from
    another application, and they will have to login to an Excel form. I
    cannot export the encrypted info into Excel since I have no way to
    translate it back to its original value.

    Instead, I thought if I first decrypted the data and replaced it with
    checksums, the password wouldn't be brought into Excel, which would add
    another measure of security for the application, since even if an
    enterprising user went hunting and found both userlist files, the
    password and security group would be different in each file, and there
    would be no obvious key that would hint at how they are related.

    I cannot, however, find any code that shows how to calculate checksums.
    I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks!

    Henry
    DPM Mellon

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Henry,

    Here is the code for Luhn CRC. I know it isn't the 32 bit CRC alogrithm. If you lnow the math for the 32 bit CRC then you can use the Luhn CRC algorithm as a VBA model to construct the 32 bit CRC. Hope this helps some.

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: Excel VBA: calculating checksums

    Thanks, Leith- that was fast.

    Unfortunately, I don't know the math for the 32-bit version, and also
    unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being able to do a lot of
    research, either. I've just had a project assigned to me that has a
    very short deadline, and I have to pull a lot of things together to
    enable different modules to draw info from each other. It now seems
    that I'll have to resort to another plan - one that I can easily
    implement in VBA that can be trusted to accurately decrypt VBA input so
    I know that it matches the similarly encrypted data, coming from FoxPro.

    Thanks again. I appreciate it.

    Henry

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Ross
    Hello Henry,

    Here is the code for Luhn CRC. I know it isn't the 32 bit CRC alogrithm. If you lnow the math for the 32 bit CRC then you can use the Luhn CRC algorithm as a VBA model to construct the 32 bit CRC. Hope this helps some.

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

    Hi Leith Ross
    I hope you are still around, i needed your Luhn digit checksum urgently but it did not calculate the way i wanted it to when i loaded it to Excel. I think there are a few ways of doing the sum.

    I found the formula that calculates the way i wanted although it looks to be the same as the one you done a whle ago:
    Luhn Check Digit

    Calculation

    Step 1 Double the values of the odd labelled digits of the IMEI.
    Step 2a Add together all the individual digits obtaind in step 1.
    Step 2b Add the sum obtained in Step 2a together with the sum of all even labelled digits of the IMEI
    Step 3 If the number obtained in Step 2b end with '0' then the Luhn Check Digit will be 0, otherwise the Luhn Check Digit will be the substraction of the result from Step 2b with the next higher number ending with a zero.

    Example

    Enter IMEI :

    D14 D13 D12 D11 D10 D09 D08 D07 D06 D05 D04 D03 D02 D01
    4 9 0 1 5 4 2 0 3 2 3 7 5 1

    Calculation
    Step 1:
    18 2 8 0 4 14 2
    Step 2a+b
    ( 1+8 + 2 + 8 + 0 + 4 + 1+4 + 2 ) + ( 4 + 0 + 5 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 5 ) = 52
    Step 3:
    Luhn Digit : 8
    IMEI :
    490154-20-323751-8

    Please help me as i am not very good with computer stuff.

  5. #5
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258

    Luhn algorithm macros

    Hello Mrjames,

    Here are 2 macros that should help you out. One will verify if a checksum sequence is correct, and the other will generate a checksum digit for a sequence, and if the sequence is valid, no checksum digit needed, it will return a -1.

    Using the number you provided we will get the following result:
    Cell A1 formula: =IsLuhnChecksumOK("49015420323751")
    Returns TRUE. This sum of the digits equals 50, not 52.

    How the Luhn algorithm functions:
    1) Starting with the second to last digit, multiply every other digit by 2.

    2) If the product is greater than 10 then subtract 9 from the product. This produces the same result as adding the digits of number greater than 9. Sum these values.

    3) Sum all the unmultiplied digits and add the sum from step 2. The result is valid if it is an even mutliple of 10.

    4 9 0 1 5 4 2 0 3 2 3 7 5 1

    Step 1 - double the digits
    5(2) 3(2) 3(2) 2(2) 5(2) 0(2) 4(2)

    Step 2 - sum and adjust the doubled digits
    (10 - 9) + 6 + 6 + 4 + (10 - 9) + 0 + 8 = 26

    Step 3 - sum the digits not doubled and the doubled digits. Test is total is evenly divided by 10
    1 + 7 + 2 + 0 + 4 + 1 + 9 = 24
    24 + 26 = 50
    10 Mod 50 = 0

    If you have any further questions, you can emial me at [email protected].

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross