Length of worksheet name

  1. #1
    Howard Kaikow
    Guest

    Length of worksheet name

    Is there a property, or registry entry, that specifies the maximum length of
    a worksheet name?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Length of worksheet name

    I believe the built in (unalterable) limitation is 31 characters.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Howard Kaikow
    Guest

    Re: Length of worksheet name

    "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I believe the built in (unalterable) limitation is 31 characters.

    Ayup, I also believe that, but I'd rather not hard code the value, in case
    the value changes for future versions.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Length of worksheet name

    Perhaps if they make it longer, they will offer something you can check
    programmatically. Right now, I don't believe there is.

  5. #5
    Howard Kaikow
    Guest

    Re: Length of worksheet name

    "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps if they make it longer, they will offer something you can check
    > programmatically. Right now, I don't believe there is.

    Ayup, that's a design flaw in MSFT's thinking.
    Such critters ALL need to made into properties or registry settings from day
    1.
    Does no good to have the property in later versions as the critter won't
    work in previous versions.

  6. #6

    Re: Length of worksheet name

    If you're trying to catch possible errors before a rename, maybe you could just
    try it and check for an error:

    dim myNewName as string
    mynewname = inputbox(prompt:="new name?")
    if trim(mynewname) = "" then
    exit sub
    end if

    with activesheet
    on error resume next
    .name = myNewName
    if err.number <> 0 then
    'something went wrong--maybe the length, maybe something else
    msgbox "not renamed!
    err.clear
    end if
    on error goto 0
    end with

    There are lots of other things that cause rename errors besides the length of
    the suggested new name.