RTD wrapper functions do not work in Excel 2007

  1. #1
    peterhoa
    Guest

    RTD wrapper functions do not work in Excel 2007

    I sell an addin which links to a number of real time providers (eSignal,
    market feed...) using a dll (written to the RTD standard). I use VBA
    wrapper functions which in turn call the RTD dll. Works fine with Excel 2002
    and Excel 2003. It does NOT work with Excel 2007 however. I've recompiled
    the dll to ensure the VB 6.0 reference includes the 2007 libraries. If I use
    the RTD function directly from a worksheet cell it DOES work. This shows the
    dll is functioning correctly. However, when it's included in a VBA wrapper
    function nothing happens. ie cell values are not updated. I've stipped the
    dll down to the point where it simply displays the time -- ie a few lines of
    code -- with the same result: wrapper functions do not work.

    Wrapper functions are essential as asking users to use RTD direct is complex
    and not a practical solution for average users. Has anybody else had a
    problem with wrapper fucntions?

  2. #2
    peterhoa
    Guest

    Re: RTD wrapper functions do not work in Excel 2007

    I forgot to mention that it's Excel 2007 beta 2.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    peterhoa wrote:
    > I forgot to mention that it's Excel 2007 beta 2.
    >
    > "peterhoa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >I sell an addin which links to a number of real time providers (eSignal,
    > > market feed...) using a dll (written to the RTD standard). I use VBA
    > > wrapper functions which in turn call the RTD dll. Works fine with Excel
    > > 2002
    > > and Excel 2003. It does NOT work with Excel 2007 however. I've recompiled
    > > the dll to ensure the VB 6.0 reference includes the 2007 libraries. If I
    > > use the RTD function directly from a worksheet cell it DOES work.

    Sorry, no answer to your question but I can say that I see exactly the
    same behaviour here: writing =RTD() directly in the worksheet cells
    works fine but using a wrapper function returning
    Excel.Application.WorksheetFunction.RTD() doesn't work. I can see that
    in the latter case Excel calls my ConnectData() just as usual but
    almost immediately thereafter it calls DisconnectData() -- without any
    apparent reason. Even more surprizingly, it still calls RefreshData()
    for the topic it just disconnected from.

    The fact that =RTD() in the worksheet works makes me suspect that this
    is a beta2 bug, I hope this wasn't a conscious design decision in Excel
    2007, so I can only hope it's going to be fixed in the final version.

    Regards,
    VZ

  4. #4
    peterhoa
    Guest

    Re: RTD wrapper functions do not work in Excel 2007

    The Microsoft beta team sent me an email acknowledging the problem:
    "Thanks for the note. This is an issue we are aware of and that we are
    working on."

    They invited me to send them a test so I have sent them a simple test which
    produces the problem. So hopefully it will be fixed in the final release.

    Your description of the disconnect function in the RTD dll being called
    immediately on loading ties in exactly with what I found and in the test I
    sent Microsoft a message box pops up when that happens so it's very clear
    what's going on.

    Peter