Can I use cell contents as part of a formula?

  1. #1
    Brian Rhodes
    Guest

    Can I use cell contents as part of a formula?

    For example:

    Column C has a bunch of numerical values for which I'd like to get the MIN,
    MAX, Average, etc of. But, I don't always want to do the entire column.
    There are "chunks" of data that I'd like to perform the operations on.

    So, I figure out the chunks automatically and place them in Column N. So,
    Column N looks like this:

    N1=C1
    N2=C8
    N3=C2350
    N4=C3458

    What'd I'd like to do is this:

    Min(C1:C8)
    Min(C8:C2350)
    Min(C2350:C3458)

    But, I'd like to use the values that are in the "N" cells, as I have many
    worksheets that I'm analyzing data in and I'd like to just copy and paste
    the formulas from the N column and not have to figure out where the
    sub-chunks of data are located.

    Thanks
    -Brian

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Can I use cell contents as part of a formula?

    As a for instance:

    =MIN(INDIRECT(N1&":"&N2))

    which calculates as MIN(C1:C8)

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Can I use cell contents as part of a formula?

    Check out INDIRECT() in XL Help. For instance:

    =MIN(INDIRECT(N1&":"&N2))

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Can I use cell contents as part of a formula?

    The offset function will probably work for you. (check help on offset)

    you would not need to put the C in your N cells

    for example the equivelent ot min(c1:C8) would be

    if n1=1,n2=8, n3=2350
    =min(offset(c1,n1-1,0,n2-n1+1,1))
    for min(C8:C2350)
    =min(offset(c1,n2-1,n3-n2+1,1))

    if you need the full C1,C8,C2350 etc for other purposes

    =min(offset(c1,value(right(n1,len(n1)-1)-1,0,value(right(n2,len(n2)-1)-right(n1,len(n1)-1)+1,1))
    for min(C8:C2350)
    =min(offset(c1,right(n2,len(n2)-1)-1,right(n3,len(n3)-1)-right(n2,len(n2)-1)+1,1))