Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

  1. #1
    cjssas
    Guest

    Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    I want to use HEX2DEC to convert hex numbers to decimal. The HEX2DEC
    function seems to only work with number. If I can use the function on a
    number by referencing it's cell then I could convert a large number of hex
    numbers to decimal.

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    Would it be something other than =HEX2DEC(A1)? That should convert the
    hexadecimal value located in the cell A1 to decimal value. I'm not quite
    sure what you mean if it's something other than that. But it should work to
    just put in the cell reference.
    Dave

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:27:03 -0700, cjssas <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I want to use HEX2DEC to convert hex numbers to decimal. The HEX2DEC
    >function seems to only work with number. If I can use the function on a
    >number by referencing it's cell then I could convert a large number of hex
    >numbers to decimal.

    =HEX2DEC(A1)

    works fine here, with a HEX number in A1.

    What, exactly, are you doing?

    --ron

  4. #4
    cjssas
    Guest

    RE: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    Dave,

    You are absolutely correct. I just tried some dummy data & it worked. My
    intial problem seemed to be that the numbers I tried to convert had leading
    characters (i.e., 0x004803) that the function did not seem to like. I'll
    just have to only copy the characters I need and leave out the leading 0x00
    stuff. Still pretty manual but at least the function works.

    Thanks for your help.

  5. #5
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    Cool.

    An easy way to get that x out, would be go to Data->Text to Columns, choose
    delimited, and select the "Other" box and type in "x" for the delimiter.
    Dave

  6. #6
    cjssas
    Guest

    Re: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    Ron,

    I'm trying to convert some hex numbers that are in a text file to decimal.
    I have been copying the text out of the text file & pasting it into an Excel
    spreadsheet. The format of the hex numbers includes leading 0x0 in front of
    the hex numbers. The function did not seem to work w/ the leading characters.

  7. #7
    cjssas
    Guest

    RE: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    Dave,

    Whoo Hoo! You da man!

    Thanks very much.

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can I use HEX2DEC with cell references vs. numbers?

    Well, if they all have the leading 0x0 you could use:

    =hex2dec(MID(A1,FIND("x",A1)+1,255))

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:54:02 -0700, cjssas <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Ron,
    >
    >I'm trying to convert some hex numbers that are in a text file to decimal.
    >I have been copying the text out of the text file & pasting it into an Excel
    >spreadsheet. The format of the hex numbers includes leading 0x0 in front of
    >the hex numbers. The function did not seem to work w/ the leading characters.
    >
    >"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:27:03 -0700, cjssas <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I want to use HEX2DEC to convert hex numbers to decimal. The HEX2DEC
    >> >function seems to only work with number. If I can use the function on a
    >> >number by referencing it's cell then I could convert a large number of hex
    >> >numbers to decimal.

    >> =HEX2DEC(A1)
    >>
    >> works fine here, with a HEX number in A1.
    >>
    >> What, exactly, are you doing?
    >>

    >> --ron

    --ron