Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Prevent distribution of file

  1. #1

    Prevent distribution of file

    Hello

    I have an excel file which is placed on an NT server where people read
    and write to it to complete a company budget. I want to prevent people
    from making copies of the file to save to local drive or send the file.
    Any suggestions? It does not need to be 100% fullproof but a good level
    of prevention would be good. Perhaps this is not specifically an excel
    question but NT server side? I am not sure.

    thank you.

    Daniel

  2. #2
    Can you 'plant' a simple .txt file somewhere on the network, hidden in a quiet little corner.

    Then, in your Workbook_Open() function...
    If file does not exist then thisworkbook.close

    To get around the fact that someone might turn off macros is a little harder, but not impossible.

    Have your workbook include a blank worksheet, with all the others 'very hidden'
    after the IF statement above, have the code unhide the sheets but you'll also need the same to re-hide the sheets in Workbook_BeforeSave.

    If macros off then blank worksheet only
    If macros on then
    If file exists then unhide sheets
    else close workbook

  3. #3
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: Prevent distribution of file

    [email protected] shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an excel file which is placed on an NT server where people read
    > and write to it to complete a company budget. I want to prevent people
    > from making copies of the file to save to local drive or send the
    > file. Any suggestions? It does not need to be 100% fullproof but a
    > good level of prevention would be good. Perhaps this is not
    > specifically an excel question but NT server side? I am not sure.
    >
    > thank you.
    >
    > Daniel

    It is not possible. If people can read a file, they can copy it, print
    it, send it. Period.
    You cannot solve this with technology. Write (and enforce) a policy for
    things like this.

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How to Report Bugs Effectively
    Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    answer.
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    o-answers.html

  4. #4
    Daniel,

    To a certain extent, Amedee is correct. For all intents and purposes, you can't stop people copying it, or at least making their own version, you can just severely slow them down... however, you did mention that it didnt need to be 100% foolproof.

  5. #5

    Re: Prevent distribution of file

    One thing that's not too secure...

    Make your workbook require that you use macros--maybe some sort of user defined
    function that will break the functionality if macros are disabled and that UDF
    can't recalculate. Then have a macro (or a few macros) check the path of the
    workbook--if it's not the correct spot, do something that makes the workbook
    difficult to use.

    But all this depends on macro security and macro security can be broken pretty
    easily.

    And this doesn't stop the saving or sending--it just tries to stop any copy from
    working correctly.

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an excel file which is placed on an NT server where people read
    > and write to it to complete a company budget. I want to prevent people
    > from making copies of the file to save to local drive or send the file.
    > Any suggestions? It does not need to be 100% fullproof but a good level
    > of prevention would be good. Perhaps this is not specifically an excel
    > question but NT server side? I am not sure.
    >
    > thank you.
    >
    > Daniel

Closed Thread