Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

  1. #1
    Abel Chan
    Guest

    Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    Hi all,

    I was trying to send out an excel workbook through Outlook Express.

    I looked at http://www.rondebruin.nl/ and have:
    Workbooks.Application.ActiveWorkbook.SendMail "[email protected]", _
    "This is a test"
    In my code but I got an error 1004 "Method 'SendMail' of object '_Workbook'
    failed"

    I checked my Internet Option | Program and it has Outlook Express as the
    default Email.

    Any idea why?

    Thanks so much.

    Abel Chan

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    Hi Abel

    Your code is not the same as the Example on my site

    Sub Mail_workbook_1()
    ActiveWorkbook.SendMail "[email protected]", _
    "This is the Subject line"

    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Abel Chan
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks to your quick reply. I used your code and got error 1004
    Application-defined or object-defined error. Somehow Excel was unable to
    find Outlook Express.

    On the other hand, I was able to use your code at:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/oebody.htm to bring up a dialog box and send
    out a test email.

    I also tried the Outlook object code and got similar error:
    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSendMail).Show aryEmailAddress, strEmailSubject

    Thanks so much Ron.

    Abel

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    See
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm

  5. #5
    Abel Chan
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    1)
    Check out if Outlook or Outlook Express is your mail program for Office
    Start>Settings>Control Panel....Internet options (Program Tab)
    Close Excel first before you make a change.

    *** Outlook Express is the mail program. No change needs to make.

    2)
    XL2002: "Send To Routing Recipient" Command Does Nothing

    *** We are not using routing. Not appliable.

    Note : If you use a other language version then English
    The MAPIX=1 can be in the section [Correo] for example and not in the [Mail]
    section.
    This is a example for a Spanish version (Correo = Mail in Spanish).

    *** Language is English. Not appliable

    3)
    Error <Excel could not start the E-mail program>

    *** I can go to Excel | File | Send To | Mail Recipients to bring up the
    email dialog box. So this is not an issue.

    If you want to send the selection in the body of the mail in Excel 2000 or
    2002.
    (File>Send To...Mail recipient or use the E-Mail button on the Standard
    toolbar)
    And have Outlook 2003 as your default mail program then
    Excel will tell you this <Excel could not start the E-mail program>

    ***We are using Excel 2000/XP and Outlook Express 6.

    The Outlook version and the Office version must be the same to send
    in the body of the mail.

    4)
    Because there is a bug in Outlook it is possible that you must uncheck
    "send immediately when connect" in the Outlook options.
    Tools>Options>Mail Setup in the Outlook menu.
    In Outlook 2000 Tools>Options>Mail Delivery

    *** We are using Outlook Express.

    Problem: It will not close the Outlook process after the mail is sent in the
    Task Manager

    5)
    Search in the MS Knowledge Base for solutions of other problems (Click here)

    ***None of them target Outlook Express. If my client has Outlook, I can use
    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSendMail).Show aryEmailAddress, strEmailSubject.
    To bad...

    Thanks.

    Abel Chan

  6. #6
    Peter Huang [MSFT]
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    Hi,

    Currently I am researching the issue and we will reply here with more
    information as soon as possible.
    If you have any more concerns on it, please feel free to post here.

    Thanks for your understanding!

    Best regards,

    Peter Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

  7. #7
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    >*** We are not using routing. Not appliable.
    Header is not very good in this KB
    Check out your win.ini file

  8. #8
    Abel Chan
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    I checked out the win.ini file and I don't find a [Mail] section.

    Should I create one? What else do I need to add after [Mail].

    Thanks.

    Abel Chan

  9. #9
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    Try to add this in the win.ini file

    [Mail]
    MAPI=1
    MAPIX=1

  10. #10
    Peter Huang [MSFT]
    Guest

    Re: Cannot send out Excel workbook through Outlook Express

    Hi Abel,

    Have you tried Ron's suggestion?
    If you still have any concern with this issue, please feel free to post
    here.