Coping formulas to new workbook

  1. #1
    big jim
    Guest

    Coping formulas to new workbook

    Is there a way to copy formulas from one workbook and them paste it to
    another workbook without it having a link in the formula to the previous
    workbook?

    This is a formula I copied but all I need is the last part that said
    =INVENTORY$d$177 not the link to another workbook

    ='C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\SONIC REPORTS\IDEALS\aug ideals\[XDQ
    IDEALS 2005 rev0805.xls]INVENTORY'!$D$177
    --
    Jim Salyer
    Area Supervisor

  2. #2

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    I like to do this:

    Select all the cells.
    edit|replace
    what: = (equal sign)
    with: $$$$$= (some unique string)
    replace all

    Now all your formulas are text.

    Copy them and paste them to the new worksheet.

    And edit|replace
    what: $$$$$=
    with: =
    replace all

    (remember to do it in the original workbook, too--or close without saving.)

    ===
    Another option is to copy normally, but save your workbook and then
    Edit|Links|change source

  3. #3
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    Here's a simpler way if it's a one-off formula (or few): Click on the
    cell that contains the formula and select any part or all of the
    formula displayed in the formula bar except the = sign. Select the
    destination cell, click in the formula bar, type = and use the keyboard
    short cut combination Ctrl+V to paste the formula text. Press Enter or
    Tab to leave the cell (don't use mouse) and you're done.

  4. #4

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    If it's only one cells (or a few), you could copy from the formula bar (all the
    formula, including the equal sign) and paste into the formula bar after you

  5. #5
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    Respectfully, I think you're guessing (unless your version is different
    somehow). What happened in the past when I tried that is I got an extra
    = sign added to the begining, then the cell reference chosen comes
    after that, then the pasted text. e.g. =A5=SUM(A3+B3) where A5 is the
    selected cell.

  6. #6
    adeel afzal via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    dear jim

    its answer is simple
    first go to that cell
    and press F2 key from your keyborad
    then u select you formula.... select from keyboard use... shift+arrow keys..
    or other way of selection with your mouse.
    then copy wiht right click.. or use shortcut from keyboard.. it is ctrl+c and
    then go to destination cell. whom you paste your formula... and simply paste
    them..... and enjoy.. your work..
    Take Care.. GOD bless you dear...

  7. #7

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    No, not a guess.

    I've used this technique lots and lots of time.

    I copy the whole expression from the formula bar. Go to the other cell. Click
    in the formula bar (erase what's ever there, if necessary) and paste.

    Are you sure you didn't type the equal sign (or click that equal sign icon)?

  8. #8

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    Ps. I did leave out one step or two!.

    1. Select the "sending" cell
    2. Select all the formula (including the equal sign)
    3. hit ctrl-c (or rightclick|copy)
    4. Hit Escape (to leave that cell)
    5. Select the "receiving" cell
    6. Click in the formula bar
    7. ctrl-v or rightclick|paste

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Dave,
    I do this a lot, only in step #4 i hit Enter instead of Escape
    Dave (different Dave)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson

  10. #10

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    If you're sure you didn't change anything, there's not too much difference (a
    recalculation???). But I figure that it's never a bad idea to use escape if you
    didn't want to make a change.

  11. #11
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    No, I didn't click the = sign, but it does work using your revised
    instruction. Hitting "Esc" drops the reference to the original cell
    when pasting into the new one. Following adeel's (10th posting) method
    results in =A3=SUM(C1+D1) where A3 is the destination cell for me. As
    you can probably see, without hitting Esc your method still carries
    over the first formula. As for your method or mine, either requires the
    same number of mouse clicks and keyboard presses, so it's a matter of
    preference I guess.

  12. #12

    Re: Coping formulas to new workbook

    If you don't enter or escape after the copy, you're still editting the cell with
    the original formula.

    And I agree that it's a matter of preference. I like to select the whole
    formula. I find it easier to swipe the whole formula than positioning the
    cursor after the equal sign.

  13. #13
    Dave
    Guest