+ Reply to Thread

User Form Controls Vanished - Help?

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

User Form Controls Vanished - Help?

Hi everyone
    I had a couple of frames containing controls and a few command buttons on a user form.

When tying to add a frame on the crowded user form, when moving a frame full of controls it just disappeared.

The control objects appear in the objet browser and the code is still there. This measn I can't recreate them (name ambiguous!)

Can I get them back?

I have tried tabbing; select all etc with no joy.

I have read on the forum that the Top and Left properties may be negative but I can't locate them to change the properties.

They are not hiding behind or within the frame thats left.

I am using Excel 2007

Help!!!!
    Last edited by barryleajo; 09-10-2010 at 09:28 AM.

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010

Re: User Form Controls Vanished - Help?

Make the form really big, and make the frames within very big. You'll find them.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

Hi shg
    Thanks very much for responding and for your advice.

I have tried making both the userform and remaining frame massive and also using the zoom property and scrolling around - but to no avail yet.

I have also checked that the missing objects are still in the object browser (after a restart this morning) - yes they are all still there (a frame and 3 option controls).

Is there either a fasttrack way to get to objects from their reference in the object browser or a way of programmatically bringing them into view?

I do appreciate your help.

with thanks
    barry

MS-Off Ver
    365, varying versions/builds

They are probably behind the frame you added (or another one). Try making all the frames smaller.
    Everyone who confuses correlation and causation ends up dead.

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

Hi erveryone

With acknowledgements to the help offered by shg and romperstomper - thank you

Now solved so I am posting the 'solution' which may be of help to others.

The subtle twist was that the frame that had 'vanished' was exactly the same size as the frame that was left. Effectively one frame overlayed the other.

Consequently increasing/decreasing the size of userform and frame didn't help.

I only spotted this in that both frame names appeared in the Properties window drop down for the user form. Selecting the frame from this dropdown gave me the properties list of the 'vanished' frame and sure enough one of the Left/Top properties was a negative number. This allowed me to untangle the frames and retore order!

Sneaky..!

and thanks to everyone

barry

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

I've been through the agony of thinking I had lost a frame full of commands, when in fact the frame had been "swallowed" inside another frame control. To help with locating lost controls I have developed a userform ("lost control"), which takes as input the name of a (probably different, but can be the same) userform. It then populates a list box with the names of all the controls on the (second) userform. Clicking on a control name in the listbox then displays the hierachy of where the control is located on the userform, which is the information you need to find any control within the drop down list for the userform within the VBEditor. I had hoped to display this "lost control" form over the VBEditor, so that the information would be accessible at the same time as the userform, but I haven't manged to get that to work (yet!). You have to load the userform to get the information, and if you then try to access the userform via the VBEditor it causes the "lost control" userform displaying the information to unload. I am attaching the form and code as a macro enabled Word document. I imagine that the form and code could be exported from the Word document and imported into an Excel workbook and used with Excel.

Richard (from Piracicaba, SP, Brazil)
    Attached Files Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information