+ Reply to Thread

Drop down box that hides the arrow and finds value in list by typing in the dropdown cell

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Drop down box that hides the arrow and finds value in list by typing in the dropdown cell

Hello.

I need assistance with a drop down box (I hope I am referencing it correctly). I have a list of items I would like the user to be able to select from a drop down list. I'd like the format of the cell that contains the list to 1. hide the arrow and 2. highlight an item from the list when it is typed. I tried using both data validation and a combo box. The data validation seems to be the closest to my objective - it just doesn't permit typing in the cell (or does it?). I have attached a very basic excel which includes how I formatted the data validation and the combo box. Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thank you,

Emma

Drop-down list.xlsx

MS-Off Ver

Re: Drop down box that hides the arrow and finds value in list by typing in the dropdown c

I don't see any way to hide the arrow for any of the "drop-down" lists. There might be a VBA solution....I don't know.
    <---------If you like someone's answer, click the star to the left of one of their posts to give them a reputation point for that answer.
    Ron W

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Re: Drop down box that hides the arrow and finds value in list by typing in the dropdown c

I'm sorry - "hide" may not be the appropriate term. I am referring to how it is not visible until the cell containing the drop down is hovered over. I realize now that I also should have mentioned that a large number of cells in column A will contain the drop down. This is why I prefer the arrow to remain hidden. But, if I were to type in the cell with the hidden dropdown, the dropdown list will appear and take me directly to what I typed. Otherwise, I can just scroll down the list.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    office 365

Maybe something like this
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Willem
    English is not my native language sorry for errors
    Please correct me if I'm completely wrong

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Hi. Yes, that is what I am looking for! How did you create this?

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    office 365

I did not made it by myself
    It is one of my files that i onces saw and i saved it.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

I see. Well, I tried to figure out how it was created, but I am unsuccessful. The cells with the dropdown are protected or something - when clicked on the entire ribbon turns grey. I'm not sure if this strange protection issue is an influence or not, but when I click on the cell with the dropdown, the list is empty until I begin typing. Then it appears and filters by what I typed. I'll keep researching and if I find an answer I will post it here.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    office 365

the list is empty until I begin typing.
    That is the way it work
    It use a search function.
    If the input is empty you don't find anything.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

I'll research a search function to see if that helps. I know I saw an excel once that had a drop down that showed the contents of the list when clicked on and permitted typing in the cell to filter the content. If I find that workbook, I will post it. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information