+ Reply to Thread

Slicer "Group" Options Greyed Out

MS-Off Ver

Slicer "Group" Options Greyed Out

Using Excel 2013, I have pivots and charts created from two data tabs in the same xlsx worksheet. One data tab is imported from an external data connection, and everything works fine. The other data tab contains data I've copy/pasted. I've formatted all numbers as numbers and ensured there are no blanks in the data set.

An example of what I want to group is a column containing values from, say 200-1000. I'd like to create groups for the slicer of 200-399, 400-599, 600-799, and 800-999. This works perfectly fine for one set of pivots (the set linked to the external data), but the "Group" options are greyed out for the pivots for the copy/pasted data. The nature of the data in both tabs is essentially identical (the one that's not working simply contains a few additional columns).

Thanks for your time,
    Geoff

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    MO 2010 & 2013

Re: Slicer "Group" Options Greyed Out

Welcome to the forum.
    We would have to see the data and such to help really.
    Please ensure you mark your thread as Solved once it is. Click here to see how.
    If a post helps, please don't forget to add to our reputation by clicking the star icon in the bottom left-hand corner of a post.

MS-Off Ver

Thank you. Well, after trying to figure it out for a day and a half and coming up with nothing, of course I discovered something 5 minutes after posting here. If I create the pivot without checking "Add this data to the Data Model," I get the Group options back. Not ideal, but I'll take it for now.

You raise an interesting point. I assume that somewhere around 100% of the people on the forum are doing this for their employer (or their own business) and that most of us are dealing with sensitive data. It would take an hour or two for me to get this example into a shareable state but the next time I'm this desperate I'll put in the effort to do up a dummy version first and submit it with my initial post.

Thanks again!

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    MO 2010 & 2013

Yeah desensitizing the data is important, but it is likely easier than you think. I grab names, cities, or whatever from google then just randomize the numbers if I am concerned about that.
    All in I could take your sensitive data and make it safe in a few minutes. Also we dont need ALL the data, just a sample big enough to be representative of the problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information